Pre-Season

N A L A

I stared at the roster in front of me as various girls crowded around me to search for their name as well

I stared at the roster in front of me as various girls crowded around me to search for their name as well. I still haven't actually looked for my name as my anxiety has got me frozen and staring at the date instead.

Once the crowd went away I took a deep breath and grabbed the roster of the board to look for my name. Going straight to the 400m hurdles. I scroll down each name slowly hoping my name would be the next name I read.

It wasn't...

I sighed. Hanging the roster back up I don't know I had any hope that I would be running. I was a freshman who has yet to prove herself and Coach Latrice isn't worried about me.

"Nala there you are!" My roommate Bre said walking up to me "Oh my god, did you see your name Kendra's pissed you're a swinger."

"A swinger?" I questioned

"Yeah for the Sprint Medley, you didn't see?"

I quickly picked the roster back up and went to the relay page.

Sprint Medley

Daija Matthews: 1st Leg- 100m

Kyla Thompson: 2nd Leg- 100m

Kendra Davis: 3rd Leg-200m

Laila Johnson: 4th Leg 400m

Swingers:

Patricia Brown-100m

Naomi Beyl-100m

Nala Jones-400m

Lisa Karson-200m

"Oh shit! I'm a swinger for anchor." I gasped "I didn't even think to look at the relays."

"Girl we are freshman coach is not going to put us in an event we're comfortable with. You know she gonna make us work for it." Bre said

"Thanks for telling me!" I hugged her "I mean I know it's only a swinger position but still it's something it's a possible chance."

"Hate to say it but hopefully that Laila girl gets injured so you can run." Bre shrugged

"You ain't shit." I laughed

"Well I gotta get to class but see you at night practice?"

"Yeah girl see you then."