Chapter 1 - The Cellar

I could hear my slow heart beat dwindle within me. My breath was visible, coming out as warm, humid puffs clashing with the cold which surrounded me. I lay, half alive, against the corner of that barred chamber. My weak bones could no longer support me, and so I went limp. I chose to save my energy for the squirming of escape once I am released of this hell hole. The pleasure it would be to see the outside again. To feel the warm rays of light against my cheeks. I can no longer dream of such a place.

I returned to reality, after dazing into a thoughtless dream once again. My glance shot at the others who resided in the other two cells. They were as miserable as me. I sighed, gulping down saliva to keep my hydration lingering. I licked my dry lips, for they have not had water since the men came for feeding time. They were supposed to keep us from starving to our deaths, but little did their task do anything to aid our needs. My hand twitched, as I shot my head up towards the door. It had been opened, and the sound of rattling chains echoed throughout the room. In came a man with a mask, holding a chain attached to a child. I squinted, looking closely at him. It seemed that he was around my age. What a poor soul to be joining in our grieving.

The masked man led the child towards my cell, pulling out keys with his gloved hand to unlock the hatch. He shoved the child in, who groaned in displeasure.

"You'll be residing here. Until then, stay alive." The man chuckled, locking the hatch. The boy held his hands up to the man, so that he could remove the chains.

"Don't bother trying to escape, boy. It's not just me here." The man rasped, jerking away the keys and jingling them in a teasing way. I shot him a glare, licking my lips as if saying, 'I will kill you.'

He snickered in return, pocketing the keys and dragging the chains with him. He slammed the door behind him, causing the room to shudder.

I furrowed my brow with a frown, glancing at the boy with pity.
"Another poor soul." I coughed out, covering my mouth with a fist.
The boy looked at me, his azure blue eyes were beautiful. He did not say a word. "So, what's your name?" I whispered softly, giving the warmest smile I could give.

"I'm Ciel. Ciel Phantomhive."