🝔🝔🝔

When I walked there with the pegasus behind me and the shrew on my shoulder, I heard a voice in my head. A squeaky, shrill voice.
Wait, it said. I didn't think I would get competition. What are you doing here, Alastor?
Now another voice was heard. Don't look at me, Ravenna. It's not my fault this one is so exciting.

I frowned where I walked, got tired of their nagging. When I was only centimeters from the door, I stopped.
"Wait a second," I said out loud to myself. "This isn't normal. I shouldn't have two Mystics."
No you're right about that, the squeaky voice said. One of us needs to rest.
Ravenna said rest like it was some sort of special ritual.

Alastor agreed. But who? he wondered.
At least I won't, Ravenna answered. You'll do that, Alastor.
Absolutely not, Alastor countered. Biggest gous first, little friend.
I sighed deeply. "Just do it, one of you," I said.
Okay, okay, Ravenna said. I'll do it.
I felt how the small—but still noticeable—weight disappeared from my shoulder.

The doors opened and I walked outside with Alastor on my side. I saw how the small children in the public gaped in surprise and jealousy.

When I walked through the middle aisle I couldn't avoid feeling Jake's gaze drill into neck. Without even seeing him, I knew it. He was jealous, in his gaze was disgust.

How I could know that was a mystery.
I went back to my spot, sat down on the now uncomfortable chair. When had it become so uncomfortable, really?

Next person to be called up was Katie Walch. A relatively short girl with brown, short hair that reached down to the shoulders. She was in maybe five minutes and came out with a parrot. It sat majestically on her shoulder.

She was the last of the youngsters, so with her, the first part of the test was finished.

Now we would get to know our Mystic. But first we would get our jewelry and uniforms. We were divided into groups, monthly. Liam and Bruno followed my group which was led by a certain Izadora Van Black. She had also been friends with Simon, in the end maybe even more than that. I remembered her from Simon's trials, they had clicked instantly. She was still seventeen, hadn't turned a year yet, so it was her final year at Mystic.

She led us through halls and staircases, told us a little of certain places we passed. She did a very good job, although some youngsters were a little too excited and messed around.

Further along the line I saw Tristan. I told Liam I wanted to go forward, and he agreed to it. So I did.

When I reached, I tapped Tristan lightly on the shoulder. He turned around and smiled when he saw who it was.

"Hi," he said. "So you're a December-child, too?"

I nodded. "Birthday today."

"Congratulations," he answered.

The only thing I could say was: "Thank you."

Izadora led us into a corridor. The Blue Topazes corridor. The door furthest away stood open, like it was prepared for visitors, and it was that one Izadora was aiming at.

Within minutes we were there and she sweeped us one by one.
Liam pushed himself in, stood along the wall inside.

A table stood in the middle of the room and at it they laid. The jewelry.

Every student got to choose from a generous variety of sorts. We got called one by one, got to take our Mystic with us along the way.

Izadora stood at the other side, watching intently as the jewelry got fewer and fewer.

When it was my turn there were just two different ones left. An anklet and a necklace. I felt the different jewelry, compared them. After a long moment of consideration, I made a decision. The anklet.

 The anklet