🝔

We sat down at the Blue Topazes table, I, Tristan and Katie.
Mr. Brock now revealed our test results. We were many participants and to my surprise more than half entered. However, I was still hesitant when it came to me. Tristan and Katie were sure that the teachers saw potential in me, even if my performance had been unsuccessful.

And they were right. Mr. Brock praised me and said my ability was absolutely amazing, and while I understood he was mostly just saying that to cheer me up, there was a small part of me that was happy over his words.

At least I had made it. Now one of my many moments of worry was over. Now I just needed to succeed in school, get good grades. And it was said to be almost as difficult as linking with a Mystic. Hopefully, I had an advantage from my mother being a teacher.
I sat and listened to Mr. Brock's speech. He had now called up all the students who passed the test and thus got a place at the school. Tristan and Katie had been obvious from the beginning, so that they each got a place, no one was surprised.
Not that Jake got it either. The teachers thought that he was very talented who had basically already mastered his ability.

I didn't like it. He had been so mean to me, and although I had avoided him since then, I knew he was throwing angry glances over my shoulder. It wasn't hard to understand. He seemed to hate me, even though I hadn't said a bad word to him. I just had to hope that he didn't make these four years such a big pain. I just couldn't handle him going on and teasing me while I needed to focus on school work. I needed to prove Mom wrong.

And I would. I just had to focus fully on it. Nothing else was allowed to get in the way.

After Mr. Brock's speech, there was a big feast to celebrate the students who managed to charm the teachers during the test. The food came flying across the room with the help of little dots of light which I thought were fairies. I had never seen them before, but both Mom and Simon had told me stories about them when I had asked.

They had been there even before the school was built, several hundred years ago. It was the first thing noticed when the place was first examined, and in order not to upset them their home was left to remain. In return, they promised to help at the school as long as they lived, a promise they still keep today.

The food was of the kind I knew nothing about. Strange messes and puddings filled the tables.
I looked at it in wonder with a look that said: What the hell is this?

Tristan looked at me with a frown. "You have no idea what this is do you?" he wondered.

"No," I agreed. "No idea. How do you do it?"

He laughed a little. "We'll show you."

Tristan brought out a bunch of dishes and put a little of each on my plate.

Katie glanced at the mountain of food I now had in front of me. "You don't think you can put some more up?" she said sarcastically, her eyebrows raised.

Tristan looked at the plate. "Okay," he said, "I'll admit that maybe I took in a little too much. But it's necessary. You have to taste everything at least once."

"And you claim you have?" she asked.

"Yeah, guess I have," he replied as he placed a large load of veal on his own plate. "I've been to the family dinners many times to see my brother, so I've caught up quite a bit."

"Okay, okay," Katie laughed. "It wasn't meant to judge."

"No worries," Tristan replied between bites as he had loaded his mouth full of food.

He took a sip of the turquoise liquid in his glass. It happened so fast that he belched loudly.

We laughed at him and after drinking another sip of it he did too.