Lap 23: Heart in a void

Y/N POV

Seri: Go, go, I got the boost! 

Y/N: Right here, right here, remember to control your car this time. 

It's a new day, and we're playing Burnout 3: Takedown and Seri was throwing on the last map. 

Seri: I got it, got it... I won't throw my car out of bounds this time...

She's got a car, I got a bus, because fuck it. 

I plow through traffic as she hops over it to snag the bonuses. 

I got one, but Seri hit the big ones. 

Y/N: Let's go! 

Seri: CRASHBREAKER!!!

Kali: What's that do? 

We both activate it, absolutely wiping the floor with both of our explosions. 

Kali: Holy fuck, this game is sick.

Y/N: This game was a classic back then, I always remembered getting home when I was a little kid, and... n-n-never mind I don't really wanna finish that. 

Just made me think of my parents, I don't want to think about them. 

Don't wanna cry in front of some of the girls. 

Seri: And...?

Kali: Don't push it... just... relax.

Seri: Did something happen...? 

I shut the console off and look at them with some glossy eyes. 

It's hard to get over my mom and dad, poor small-time Zaunites just trying to get by. 

One's a teacher, part-time nurse, and the other a mechanic.

Well... was... That dream really helped me out.

Y/N: N-no, it's alright... I think I should tell em. 

Kali: Babe, are you sure? 

Kali holds my hand, setting the controller down for me. 

Y/N: Yeah, I'd rather everyone knows rather than me just crying for no reason. 

Seri: I don't like where this is going... you don't have to tell me if you don't want to...

Kai: Y-yeah, it's totally fine...

Y/N: My parents died when I was little, and I was raised by Viktor the rest of the way, the mechanic out in Zaun. Vik made sure I didn't have to watch them die, bless his heart, but my father... my mother... I can remember when it happened to both of them like it was yesterday...

Kali squeezes my hand, putting her head on my shoulder. 

Y/N: Father was shot by Graves, and my mother died of an unknown disease, near weeks between each other. 

Seri: Oh my gosh...

Kai: Oh no... did... did you ever- uh, get thoughts that-

Y/N: Yes, I've suffered from horrible depression, suicidal thoughts, the whole bit. Bullying Akali when I was younger ended up just making it worse. I... try to avoid thinking about them, but what helps me get by is knowing how bad they wanted me to keep going, how much I matter to the people that I love, for their sake and for mine. 

I feel a soft, cold hand grab mine as my eyes are closed.  

I open my eyes slowly. 

Kai is holding my hand, giving me an uncomfortable, nervous but really cute smirk.