Chapter 15: Stormy Eyes

The following day at school after my confrontation with Henry Dean, I don't see him. Or the day after that, or the week after that, and the week after that. I don't see him on my usual routes to my classes, in lunch, or in the one class we actually do have together. I have not seen him in a solid 2 weeks and cant help but feel the relief I do.

Not seeing him means not having to deal with what he told me the day when I confronted him, and that makes it easier for me. What I have come to learn from the interactions I have had with him, he is very confrontational. He has no filter when he speaks and has absolutely no trouble saying exactly what is on his mind. I need to stay as far away from his as possible. Never have I surrounded myself with those kind of people, and now that I put thought to it, never should.

"But seriously Lizzy, comedy or action. C'mon you have to help me out here I can't decide on my own. Lizzy?"

"What?" I turn to Nolan, snapping out of my train of thought. "I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

He smiles. God he's so patient.

"The movie tonight. Comedy or action?" he says slowly. Ever since my first grounding came to an end, Nolan and I have been able to spend more time together and grow more as a couple.

My mother was instantly pleased to find out of Nolan and I's new relationship, always having approved of Nolan. Saying he is a respectable, pleasant young man. My father.. was okay with us. He has always liked Nolan but still made it clear to me that no man is good enough for his 'little girl', reminding me that he will "gut him like a fish" if he ever did anything to harm me.

Of course, I was embarrassed and grateful all in one.

"I don't know, what movies again?" I ask.

"Well theres--" But his voice is cut from my hearing when I see what I have been dreading for the past days. There, leaning against the wall just a couple feet ahead in the hallway, is Henry Dean.

The second my eyes make contact with his, his lips lift in a smile. Like he was just waiting for me to notice his presence. I cognizance Mila next to him, her lips moving but Henry doesn't seem to be paying much attention to what she is saying.

"Lizzy?" I hear Nolan ask, and am instantly snapped back to reality. I turn away from Henry then and over to Nolan who is already looking at me. His expression confused.

"Yeah?" I try to remember what he was saying, but I just cant.

"God Nolan I am so sorry I zoned out again."

"How about we just decide when we get there?" Nolan suggest. I nod at this, glad we got that over with.

We reach my english class and come to a stop, standing face to face to say our usual goodbye.

I look over Nolan's shoulder momentarily and see that Henry is still looking at me- us. I move my eyes away automatically and smile at Nolan once I focus my attention on him.

"I'll see you right after, okay?"

"Yeah." I smile. His lips touch mine and I smile before muttering my goodbye.

I look over at the direction where Henry is one last time and see he is still looking. He smiles once he catches me stealing another glance, amused. I look away and enter the classroom, smacking myself eternally. Why do I keep looking at him? Jesus.

Taking my seat, I swing my bag over my shoulder and hang it on the chair. I start on the warm up and am just about done writing the question when I see Logan walk into the classroom, his hair pushed to the side and arms drowning in textbooks. I flash a smile in his direction and pull his seat out for him.