[2-2] Chess Pieces Part 1

Jacob, Ch'en, Swire, and the remaining Elite Ops and Rainbow Ops found themselves expelled from the Doctor's office, their minds swirling with bewilderment over the events that had transpired within. The fourteen Operators, including Maestro, Jackal, Azami, Valkyrie, Nokk, Dokkaebi, Sharp, Pith, Rosmontis, Blaze, Stormeye, Touch, Ch'en Hui-chieh, and Beatrix Schwire, huddled together in a hushed conversation, contemplating the potential outcomes now that the misunderstanding had been resolved. They exchanged thoughts and speculations, seeking clarity and envisioning what lay ahead in their collective journey.

"Something tells me your leader and the Doctor aren't having a pleasant conversation in there," Blaze voiced his suspicion to Jacob.

Jacob nodded in agreement, a sense of unease lingering within him. "Agreed, there's something they aren't telling us," he responded, his voice filled with uncertainty.

"How long do you think we'll have to wait?" Swire asked.

"Who knows? Maybe they aren't even having a conversation in there at all," Sharp replied, "I've seen the Doctor just stare into space for hours at a time so perfectly quiet and still that it didn't even look like he was breathing."

"I can somewhat feel what's happening in there," Rosmontis stated, "As Blaze said, they aren't having a friendly chat at all..."

Javier asked everyone afterwards, "What now?"

"Well, I guess—," Before Sharp could answer Javier, the group heard footsteps approaching them, all turning their heads to the noise source.

All eyes turned towards the trio approaching them—Margaret Nearl, the Vouivre official Jacob had encountered earlier, and, to his dismay, a familiar face he had hoped to never see again.

Jacob's heart sank as he recognized the face before him—a face he had encountered during the events of the 24th Kazimierz Major when he served as a member of the Silverlance Pegasi and fought against the Armourless Union. The memories of that war in the Grand Knight Territory resurfaced, bringing with them a surge of apprehension and anger.

"Fucking bastard," Jacob pushed everyone out of the way and stared her down, the other party immediately recognized Jacob as well and her expression got uglier, "Why the fuck is she here, Margaret?!"

"It's nice to see you again too, Silverlance Pegasus, how's Liam doing?" she replied with a condescending tone.

Jacob had a sudden flashback at the sound of her voice.