Chapter Thirteen, Planning

A week after telling everyone we were pregnant we started the wedding plans

We wanted to be married before the baby came but we also didn’t want to rush things so we settled with our original date that would put me at seven months pregnant.

Today I was outside watching Maci play with Caden.

He had come down for summer break. Caleb was out getting feed for the animals and I was waiting for Savannah to stop by so we could do some planning.

I heard the phone ring so I got up and went inside to get it.

“Hello, Bailey residence. Who’s speaking?”

“Hi, who is this?”

“I’m Serena...you?”

There was a pause.

“This is David from the police station. I have news for Caleb. Is he home?”

“No he’s not, he's out getting feed for the animals but I can take a message.”

There was another pause.

“Or if you’d prefer I could go get his brother Caden?”

“Alright that will do. Can you go get him?”

I put the phone down and walked outside.

I must've had a look on my face because Caden took one look at me and came running up the steps.

“What’s wrong, Sis?”

He had grown to call me sis I had started calling him C like Maci did. I was definitely the closest with Caden.

“David’s on the phone for Caleb but since he’s not here and he won’t tell me what's wrong he said he'd tell you.”

Caden suddenly had this strange look on his face I couldn’t place and walked off inside.

“Mama, where’d Uncle C go?”

I stood there for a minute trying to figure out what on earth was going on.

“He had to take a phone call, baby. What are you doing?”

“I’m playing mermaid and Uncle C is the pirate that I’m supposed to be afraid of but he ends up saving me from sharks and then we become friends against the law. You can play also Mama, you could be a mermaid or pirate or whatever you wanna be.”

I was going to say no but the smile she had forced me to say yes.

Me and Maci played mermaids for 30 minutes or longer until Caden finally came back out.

“Uncle C!! COME BACK AND PLAY!!”

He had that strange far away look again.

“Sorry kid I have to go, but I’ll make it up to you later I promise.”

And with that he was off.

Odd.

Right after he left Savannah pulled up.

“AUNT SAV!”

Maci took off after her car and opened her door.

“Well hey there sweetie where’s your Mama?”

Maci pointed to me where I was sitting on the grass.

“Serena? You ok?”

I heard her but didn’t respond.

I was too busy trying to figure out what on earth they were keeping from me.

“SERENA!”

“Huh? Oh hey Sav.”

I got up and hugged her.

Together we walked onto the porch and sat while Maci played.

“Where's Caden? I thought he was here?”

“He was there till he got on the phone with David then he took off. Speaking of which, do you know what’s going on with them? David called asking for Caleb and when I tried to take a message he wouldn’t tell me but when I said I could get Caden on the phone he agreed to that, then Caden came out with this strange far away look and left. Right in the middle of playing with Maci too which is not normal.”

Savannah sat there for a moment obviously trying to figure out what was up.

“Odd, I’m sorry but I have no idea what that could have been about. Carlisle never talks to me about work once he’s home, that's all that is. No work talk. Especially not about David. He doesn't like him if he could trade in for a different partner he would, but they won’t let him.”

“It’s ok Sav let’s just focus on wedding planning.”

And with that though my mind wandered back to what was going on I made myself focus on my wedding planning.