Chapter One, Spring Break

It's that time of year again the time I dread. Spring Break.
Luckily the horses distract me if only people would show up. That's the only good thing about spring break: it brings in customers there for it brings in money.

"Hey Ky, Shel, Nikko... this is what my life has become talking to my horses.."

As if in response to me, Nikko and Ky neigh a few times.

Then I hear footsteps that sound very faint but there and coming this way fast. As soon as I turn around there's a little girl, maybe 3 or 4 standing right in front of me.

"HI!! My name is Maci and I wanna ride the biggest horse ya got Mister..? What's your name?"

Woah, this little girl sure does talk fast, maybe she's 4 or 5.

"Hi Ms. Maci, my name is Caleb Bailey."

"That's a nice name... my full name is Maci Kail Brooke."

I can't help but think this little girl is familiar but I can't place her. And her name... that's what I've always wanted to name my daughter if I ever had one, that was my mama's name.

I snap back to attention when the little girl says my name.

"Caleb, can I pick out my horse??"

"Well where are your parents Maci? I can't let you go without your parents."

She tries to jump up on a hay bale but is too short to reach. I pick her up and put her on the hay and wait for her response.

"I don't got no daddy... he didn't want me so he left my mama to take care of me. I'm ok with that although sometimes I wish I had a daddy to take me to the daddy daughter dances like all my friends. But my mama is good. She's here, but she is still in the car.. I was so excited when we pulled up I immediately jumped out of the car and came running to you.. I really really like horses!!!"

She jumps off the hay and does a little dance... It's cute.

"MACI WHERE ARE YOU???!!!"

That voice, it's very familiar, but I can't place it, huh?

Maybe I went to school with this girl's mama.. But everyone I went to school with stayed in town and none of them are single.

Then I see the woman appear from behind the barn.

Except it's not just a woman, it's her, Serena.

She must see me and know who I am because she lets out a gasp and covers her mouth.

"Mama? What's wrong mama??"

The little girl Maci said really concerned about her mama.

"I'm fine baby I just... I know this man, he's a umm, an old friend of mama's. Hunny, why don't you go play with your barbies over with the horses and let me talk to this nice man."

"Ok mama. YAY HORSIES HERE I COME!! Bye mister Caleb."

I watch her go over to the horses...Now I get why she's familiar.

She's her mama's twin.

Serena's twin.

"Serena, wow it's been awhile. Actually it's been five years."

I make sure to point out the exact date now I know this child is 5.

No that's wrong, not this child, my child. I see it in her eyes...she has my mothers eyes or my eyes.

"Caleb I can explain, please let me."

She's trying to hold back tears and I can't help but melt inside so I walk her around to the porch where we have a view of Maci and can talk in private.

"Talk now...I need an explanation. And Serena, no lies, only the truth."

She gives me a single nod but she's already off to another time.