IX||A very HOT informant

I drum my fingers on my black vanity. 

Why does Paola think I'm marrying into the Dagnan family? 

I could wait until my father decides to grace me with the answers to what he plans to do with me for the rest of my life. I could call Bella. But if she knew about this, she would have called me. 

Or...

My phone resting on the edge of the vanity taunts me with its black screen.

There is someone in particular I know who seems to know everything going on in Bianchi's life. Or at least one particular Bianchi. 

I pick up my phone and dial the number. I'm running out of patience with my father and it hasn't slipped my notice that I'm beginning to take drastic measures. 

The tone dials once then the other side is picked up.

 "Vittoria, How was the party?" His words are oddly comforting.

Comforting in the same way a snake wrapped around your body in a deadly embrace can be. 

"It was lovely," I say, not particularly putting any thought into the answer. 

His muffled laugh makes its way through the phone. I respond with a small smile that he'll never see.

"I'm sure it was," He says, "I assume you're calling to update me on your assignment." 

I pause. 

The plan that had been percolating in the back of my mind has fizzled and disappeared, replaced by the mystery of what Paola said. "Unfortunately, that is not why I called you." 

I let the words linger. 

"Don't keep me waiting, Mi Reina, I'm not nearly as patient as you may think." 

I wait a couple more seconds just for the hell of it. 

"Do you know the Dagnans?" I finally ask.

"Yes," He replies.

"I've heard that there may be a Bianchi-Dagnan betrothal, but Leopoldo hasn't mentioned anything, I need someone to look into it for me."

I don't give him all the information. Something tells me he'll be less inclined to help if he knew I was the Bianchi who may be getting betrothed.

"You need me." The phone does nothing to mute his smugness.

"Don't get a big head about it." I say.

"Not good enough, Vittoria," He says the light flirtatiousness vanishing from his voice.

Tension fills the unknowable space between us. 

"I want you to say it, say that you need me and it's done."

 The complete seriousness of his words raises goosebumps on my flesh. I don't generally need him. 

But if this is what it takes to get my way...

"I need you."

The only response is silence.

"Hello?" I say.

"You may not mean it now but you will, and for now I have enough need for the both of us. Goodbye, Mi Reina."

The other line clicks before I can respond.

...

"Tori!" Enzo runs up behind me, his curly hair bobbing with every motion.

"Dad said-"

"Leopoldo," I interrupt. He rolls his eyes. "Leopoldo said I gotta tag along with you today, ya know learn some more of the ropes."