XXVIII|| She's just a girl!

Bella hugs me at the door. "I'll tell them eventually. But not yet. Kids can never keep a secret.  And it will buy me time to figure out what it is I'm going to tell them," She says her arms still wrapped tight around me. I pull out of her embrace. "What? You're not gonna tell your kids that their precious Zia murdered their papa in cold blood?" I say, sarcasm lacing my voice. She rolls her eyes. "Yeah, Yeah, Tori. Be safe." She says. I wave to her as I'm walking. "I will," I say.

I stop at a gas station in between my house and Bella's. I head straight for the alcohol aisle and pick up a bottle of cheap vodka. I may not be able to party but Leopoldo never said anything about bringing the party home. The cashier is an old man. He frowns at the bottle. The judgment is so clearly painted across his face but he rings me up quickly so I don't say anything. I grab the bottle and drive back home. I blow out a breath as I park. I hold the bottle tight in my fist and pop off the lid. The warm liquid trails a path down my throat and sits perfectly warm and still in my belly. I know Leopoldo is gonna be pissed that this mission went awry. As far as he knows a mystery man knocked out Antonio and freed whoever was inside but that doesn't change the fact that he's going to be pissed. I take two more large gulps. And then just before I set it down I take two more for good measure. I shut the door. Already I feel the lightness and the buzzing as I walk toward the front door. For now I'm content with this gentle buzzing in my head, knowing that the full force of drunkenness will kick in soon. The house is dark when I walk in. Everybody must be asleep. The large entru room is completely silent save for a quiet clanking i the distance. i follow the noise. My mind does nothing to warn me against searching for strange noises as its completely preoccupied with the warmness that consumes me. The kitchen is also dark. A small mop of brown hair sticks above the kitchen island. I walk around it. Marta leans against the island, a red wine bottle in her hand. 

How very Marta. 

She doesn't look up as I approach her. I plop down next to her and she jumps slightly. "Oh hello, little one." She giggles. "You've always had the quietest feet. Sorry I'm a little drunk." She leans her head back and closes her eyes. "Me too." I say. She frowns. 

"You're too young to drink." She says. 

I snort. "I'm 23." I reply. Her eyes pop open. "Already? You're so big now." She hands me the red wine bottle. I take a swig of it. "I guess you're too old for me to call you Principessa, huh?" I shake my head. She laughs. I bring the red wine bottle to my lips and take more large gulps. She touches my hair pushing some of the damp curls behind my ear. "I missed it, didn't I?" She says, "I missed all my children growing up."

"You did your best," I reply.

"You've always been so sweet, Mi Principessa." She pats her lap. I follow the silent direction and lay down on her lap as she plays with my hair. She hums a song. "You look just like your mother," she says. I close my eyes, drifting off into sleep. I dream that I can fly. I fly over the houses and look inside to see happy families sitting around tables. My heart pangs with jealousy. 

Something shakes my shoulders. I jolt awake. The bright light of the sun is sharp against my eyes. My head pounds with the force of a million hammers. Stella stands next to me in her school uniform. I wipe the drool from my chin. "Shit, Piccolina, what time is it?" I say. She hands me a water bottle. "It's 4." My hand cups my head. "Why didn't anyone wake me up?" Stella chews a piece of gum. The smacking matches the tempo of my pulsing brain. "Papa said you must sit in your shame." I push myself up to a seated position. I roll my eyes. "He said he wants to see you in his office." I use the ledge of the kitchen island to pull myself up. Shame buries in my gut. "Sorry you had to see me like that, Stella." I say. She shrugs. "Not the worst thing I've seen this week." She says. I'm taken back to when Leopoldo cut off Teresa's finger. I grimace. It feels like it was a century ago but Stella's right it happened this week. I use the counter as leverage my pulse still loud in my head. "How pissed is he?" I ask. Stella grabs a couple painkillers from the kitchen cabinet and slides them to me. I pop a couple in my mouth. Stella waits for me to swallow them.

"Very."

***Author's notes

UH OHHH someone's angwy 

that reaction pic has nothing to do with what I said but I just felt the need to share

that reaction pic has nothing to do with what I said but I just felt the need to share. Also special shoutout to MeowzaTheGreat1234 for leaving some comments I LOVE YOU BITCH! 

I found a plug where I live

He made me mad

I no longer have a plug :(

Ok I don't condone drug use!

BYEEE LOVE YOUU (say it back or else)

<3 Pink