XXXIV|| Tap, Tap, Tap, Read, Send

Rafael stands outside the compound with me. His eyes roam over my face. "Bea can be a lot," he says apologetically. I smile at him. "She's warm," I say. I'd never experienced that before. A sibling relationship that is just so warm. The love I have for my siblings is tabled in duty and trauma. Sometimes I can't differentiate which acts are that of love and which are acts of obligation.

"You like her?" he says, a vulnerable tinge to his voice. I try to brush away how uncomfortable his easy vulnerability makes me feel. I nod and hope the tight line of my lips doesn't look painful. His arms are around me and he pulls me close to my chest. My hands come up around his sides resting lightly. "What's your favorite animal?" I say into his chest. His body shakes with laughter and I can't help but smile at the absurdity of the question. "Rats," he says. I pull out of his arms and give him a 'seriously' look.

"They're highly intelligent creatures," he says by way of explanation. "They're disgusting," I reply frankly. He shrugs, "Yes and they're my favorite."

"What's mine?" I ask him. He opens his mouth and then closes it again. His eyebrows scrunch together. I gasp. I've stumped him. Finally something he doesn't know about me. "Horses?" he says. I shake my head and make a buzzer noise. "Just tell me." he says. I shake my head again "uh uh. "  I like that there's something he doesn't know about me that I know about him. He gives me a look. "I'll find out."

"No you won't." I say. How would he find out? It's not like I go around telling people that I think ravens are cool. It would fuck up the murderous reputation after all.

"I will." he growls. The pure animalistic assuredness in his voice makes my stomach do a flip. The cavewoman in me is kicking her feet and twirling her hair.

"I'm taking that secret with me to the grave." I say placing a hand over my heart. He shakes his head and smiles at me. A comfortable silence lapses. The moon glows above us. Its gorgeous full body illuminates the road in front of us.

"Let me drive you home." Rafael says.

"You want to meet Leopoldo?" I tease.

He looks off into the distance, his face forming a forlorn mask. "I've met him before." he grinds out. The tender moment evaporates, replaced by an uncomfortable tension. He still doesn't know that I'm a Bianchi. But if he can let Milana in on his secret compound then maybe his views on Bianchi's have changed.

"You let Milana see your compound before me." I state. I say it before I think it through completely, which is unlike me. I realize my mistake when I see the smug smile on Rafael's face.

"Jealousy looks so good on you, mi reina." His eyes fall to my lips. 

I shake my head laughing. "I don't do jealousy, Raf. But delusion looks good on you."

His lips pull into a slow smile. "You're flirting with me."

"Only because we've decided to be friends." I emphasize the last word. He grimaces as if I've physically strucken him. But he doesn't say anything.

"I have to go. I have a curfew now." I sigh.

"Let me drive you." he says again.

"No." I say simply. "I'll see you."

^*^*^*^

The past 3 days have been uneventful. I've been avoiding making decisions. I've been procrastinating and despite me opening up to Rafael the past three nights I've drunk myself to sleep. I feel the nightmares returning, sitting at the edge of my consciousness ready to taunt me with the live's I've stolen. So I choose to drown in blissful unawareness. My phone dings, I smile. Although I haven't been seeing him in person I've been getting to know him over the phone.

Raf: I grew up in Cuba, I moved to the US when I was a 11

Me: Why?

Raf: My dad's job.

Me: What does he do?

The text bubbles pop up then disappear. A new notification from a different contact pops up. I sigh at the pictureless contact. It has a single message sent two days after I had sent mine.

Paola: I'm free at 3:00. I have pilates at 3:45. It'll have to be quick.

I change over to Rafael's contact remembering what he said about wanting to be more involved.

Me: Meeting with Paola today.

Raf: Need back up?

I start to type out: she's my sister. I'll be fine before I delete my message.

Me: I'll manage

*** Author's Note

It's mandatory that you listen to the song while reading (not actually but it just fits SO WELL)

<3 Pink