TWELVE

Katarina's brain reeled with the new information, as she tried to stop the panic from seizing her

Katarina's brain reeled with the new information, as she tried to stop the panic from seizing her. Saints damn her, she had just defected the second army, and she'd betrayed the Darkling – she could not go back to Ravka now.

    Vaguely aware of Alina and Mal's continued interrogation of Sturmhond, Katya forced herself to take a deep breath and not jump to conclusions. Sure, there was no way to tell who exactly Sturmhond's client was and either way, she could leave right after. The deal was to take the Sun Summoner to Ravka, not herself.

    With a bit of luck, she might've even been able to get Sturmhond's help – or a place on his crew for long enough to see herself somewhere else in the world.

    Only, Katya didn't want to aid the war effort from Kerch, or Shu Han, or Novyi Zem. She wanted to be the one plunging a knife into the Darkling's heart.

    She looked up at the privateer, "Tell us who the client is, Sturmhond."

    Sturmhond had previously refused to reveal his client's identity, but Katya felt the need to be completely useless and asked him, too. "Sorry, love," he shrugged. "I don't kiss and tell, and I definitely don't give out private information for free. But I do have a deal for you three."

    Mal snorted, "Why should we trust you?" He turned to Katya, "Or you, for that matter?"

    Reaching up, Katya snatched him by the collar, bringing Mal to her level with a strong jerk of her arm. "You can distrust me all you want, Oretsev, but as it is, you two've known the Darkling for a few months total. I? I was raised by the man. There is no one else who knows the Darkling better or more closely than I do and is willing to help you." Her grip on his collar loosened, allowing Mal to pull back, and her lips stretched into a small, self-satisfied smirk. "That, and I fucking outrank you."

    "In translation, you don't really have a choice," added Sturmhond.

    In return, Mal muttered something vaguely offensive under his breath, but nodded nonetheless; he knew that it all made sense.

    Katya watched him for a moment, wishing she hadn't been so rough with him and simply explained her situation, but the feeling soon faded, making room for annoyance. She was an asset they couldn't afford to lose, and if Mal couldn't come to terms with it, then it was his fault.

    "Listen to what my client has to say. If you don't like what he proposes, I swear to help you make your escape. Take you anywhere in the world," Sturmhond promised. His eyes turned to lock on Katya's, "This includes you. Not to objectify you, love, but you make a great extra buy – that mind of yours and the pretty exterior."

    Ignoring him, Katya examined Alina for a reaction. She looked rightfully baffled by the privateer's audacity, but it was clear on her face – she was starting to realize that there really wasn't much they could do to get out of that situation.