Chapter 15

I woke up the next morning to kids shouting and running around outside my window. The sun is just now rising and I groan when I look at the time: 6:10AM. I hate waking up early because there's nothing to do for the rest of the day besides
drowning in my thoughts that won't go away.

I realize that I'm still at my desk, with my music book out and guitar leaning against my chair. I must've fallen asleep while trying to learn this new song. Fin and I have been working on it for fun and it's the only thing that's making me feel something at least.

The warm heat is blowing through the vents, right through my hair as I stretch and open my laptop. I'm following my old town's page from back home. People from the community post news that's going on around there, like garage sales or a weekend party.

I click on their recent post and can't help but smile when I see Shelly, moms best friend, post about the new clothing store she opened yesterday.
'Shelly's shophouse is officially having a grand opening during the 26th to the 1st . Don't forget to stop by and visit,' it reads.

She has been studying business since high school and worked her butt off, taking notes and learning about the process of starting her own. Mom used to help her all the time get her papers ready and turned in so she could get more customers.

It almost makes me cry seeing the picture of her, standing in front of a pretty lime green building, with the biggest smile on her face. Her red hair has gotten longer, but the glow in her eyes when I first met her stays the same.

After a while, I look at the alarm clock for the 3rd time and think about what my dad said last night. I went to bed feeling like a selfish person for not wanting to hang out with her. I just want to see Fin and V, but maybe Dad was right. We might have more things in common than I think. Plus, I want to ask her about her drawings because I used to do a lot of it myself.
After living in my head for the past 10 minutes, I get dressed and storm down the stairs.

✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

It's nearly 7AM by the time I get to MoonBeam. Dad was at work so I had to run the whole way to make it, and I'm still not on time. I'm out of breath when I open the doors. Customers are already sitting down drinking coffees and eating croissants while watching the news on the small tv screen. I sigh at the long line of people and take a seat. Taylor  notices me shortly,as she writes down a woman's order and places them on the window by the kitchen.
We make eye contact and she looks away back at the lady. I can tell she's a little upset.

"I'll be right back," she says before she asks another worker to cover for her. He rolls his eyes. "I have to get the bakery situated, can it wait?" I hear him.She shakes her head. "I promise it'll be quick."
I stand, wiping my hands on my jeans as she walks up to me.  "Thought you had things to do," she questions. I can smell her warm vanilla perfume. "It got canceled..." I lied.

Taylor doesn't buy it. She crosses her arms. "Look, if you want to hang, it's fine. Just be honest with me."

I run my fingers through my messy hair. I didn't have time to comb it through. I try my best to stick with it, but instead,  I tell her everything right there in the middle of the cafe. I can feel people looking at me like a crazy person.

"I'm sorry," I start. "I shouldn't have lied to you. I'm just going through a lot and thought that it'll just be better for me to be alone. But I don't wanna be alone."

She stands there, staring at me with her hands on her hips. A couple of seconds go by and she lets out a sigh.

"Look, I don't know what all went down at V's house. I was going to help when I saw her run out the front door, but you guys just ignored me. Mainly you... and you're the reason I went in the first place."
An old lady calls for her from a table. She's sitting alone, with a coffee and a biscuit. A thick book sits in front of her. "I'll be right there sweetie,"  she shouts.