4 - Master & student

One week later: Today we trained in familiar surroundings - the rented room of a dance studio. We were practicing our previous choreographies, but we were also already thinking of more dance poses for our latest choreo. We had just finished the dance and were standing around the room panting when suddenly there was a knock at the door. As I glanced past the mirrors to the door, I recognized our visitor: J-Hope. When the others spotted him as well, he bowed respectfully in greeting. "Hi everyone. How's it going?" My teammates instantly ran to meet him, only I hesitated a bit and very slowly closed up behind them. After J-Hope shook hands one by one, it was my turn. He paused and began to watch me intently as I hesitantly came to a stop in front of him. "I think we'll go get some iced coffee, what do you say?" murmured Elli, and already everyone was hurrying after her, leaving J-Hope and me alone.

Embarrassed, I looked down at my feet. "Hello...", I murmured, but there was no reply. It wasn't until I lifted my eyes that I met his thoughtful gaze resting on me. "It...hmhm...", I interrupted myself and cleared my throat as my voice broke away from excitement. "I'm sorry I just left you like that the other day. I was very upset with myself.... I...I'm Kyla." Tentatively, I extended my hand in greeting. "Can you forgive me?" That I got that sentence out made me immensely proud of myself at that moment. On J-Hope's face, a conciliatory smile made its way to the surface.

When he answered the handshake, a shallow wave of relief unexpectedly swept through me. "Oh, don't worry about that anymore. Forgive and forget. Let's start again. Hi, I'm J-Hope, but my friends also call me Hoseok." he replied and as our hands touched, I felt the sunny warmth coming from him. After shaking hands, I sheepishly brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "Are you working on your next solo yet?" he asked with interest, and I tried to shake off the trepidation that threatened to overtake me and straightened my shoulders. "Well, after my last solo, I'm still trying to regain some coolness and dignity." That made him laugh briefly before he got serious again. "Kyla, cool was definitely your performance." When I raised my eyes in disbelief, he gave me an encouraging nod. "Really. You have great talent. I don't say that to everyone." I smiled tentatively. "Thanks. It's good to hear that.... What about you? Where did you learn to dance like that? That was very impressive." "Aaach..." he replied, making a humble gesture. "I've been dancing and rapping with the guys for a few years now. Before that, I was also active in street dance. So you could say I've been dancing for half my life." Curiosity awoke in me and without realizing it, I got a little closer to him. "That sounds fascinating." "It's kind of fun to come up with new moves and then share them with the others. Hhmmm, sometimes though, it's a little draining."

And so we slowly but surely engaged in a conversation where we gradually warmed up to each other and got to know each other. When my group returned from drinking iced coffee, they found Hoseok and I already dancing in the room, where he patiently taught me a few of his moves. Hoseok and I exchanged cell phone numbers at the end of the day so we could arrange to meet for more training sessions. Also the idea of a joint choreography was initiated by Ed and Elli, supported by my other teammates and finally agreed to by Hoseok and me. In the evening I fell into bed tired, happy to have given myself a jolt and overcome my pride.

Two weeks later: Every day, Hoseok and I trained in the studio until late at night following the YT-KEEZ training. Twice so far he had brought his band, the Bangtan Boys, and then everyone had danced together. Together, Hoseok and the boys even gave a private performance of one of their songs and it was extremely impressive. With open mouths, my group and I had sat on the mirror side of the room and watched in amazement. The Bangtan Boys were already very pleasant company and I found myself wishing I were dancing against them in the finals instead of some foreign group. Because in case of failure, I would rather have seen someone win that I could still be happy for.