Chapter 16: A District of Demons

???: Ah, she's awake.

Ume opened her eyes slowly, dazed and her ears aching. Two ladies stood in front of her, presumably both demons.

???: Hinatsuru, why don't we just eat her right now? We can just sever some limbs and save some.

Hinatsuru: No, Makio. Humans always taste better fresh.

Ume was in a cavern somewhere underground, a gag over her mouth and her arms tied up. Many people had chains connected to the walls, just like Ume. Skeletons littered the place, some partially buried and others completely exposed. How long had these demons been on the hunt?

Makio: Then surely a hand will be fine!

Hinatsuru: No, Makio.

Makio: A single eyeball?

???: We still need to wait for Suma.

Another demon appeared from a large tunnel. He had odd markings and jewelry everywhere with a short-sleeved outfit. He'd been the one who made the awful noise that led Ume to her capture.

Makio: That Suma! She's always late!

Hinatsuru: Welcome, Uzui. When will Suma be coming?

Uzui: Seems like she's been held back.

Ume glared at Uzui, struggling to scream and only making muffled noise.

Uzui: *Puts hands over ears* Not very flashy. Can't you shut her up or something?

Ume: Mmmm mmm mmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mm!! (*Well you are even louder than me!!*)

Uzui pulls out a large cleaver-like weapon similar to Nakime's. He points it at Ume's neck.

Uzui: Shut up or some blood will be spilled early.

Ume glares at Uzui but doesn't make any more noise. She looks down, hoping that someone would come soon.

Tanjiro places an envelope of money to pay for the care he's received from the Tokito house in his room. He secures Nezuko on his back and was completely out of his disguise.

Tanjiro: Let's go, Nezuko *Slides open the door of his room*

Miss Sumia: Go where?

Tanjiro yelps as Miss Sumia stood behind the door.

Miss Sumia: Ah, Sumiko. You look odd.

Tanjiro backs away, hand on his sword as he prepared to unsheathe it.

Miss Sumia: Where are you going? Are you running away as well?

Tanjiro: Water Breathing: First Form! Water Surface Slash!

Tanjiro unsheathes his sword to slice at Miss Sumia, but she just dodges it. Miss Sumia's eyes filled with anger as parts of her cloth extended and reached for Tanjiro.

Tanjiro: (The ribbons are working just like Ume uses hers!)

Tanjiro slashes the cloth and runs at Miss Sumia. She yawns and starts spinning one of her ribbons. When Tanjiro was close enough, she whacked him with it and sent him flying out of the room.

Miss Sumia: What a bore!

The Kyogoku Man minds his own business when...

Gyutaro: What do you know about the disappearances?

The man freezes. Gyutaro had his scythe right at the man's neck, almost touching him.

Kyogoku Man: I-I—

Gyutaro: Anything about the rising numbers of runaways? What about the most recent one, Umehime?

Kyogoku Man: I-I know nothing! Umehime disappeared without a trace so everyone assumed she ran away! As for the others, they always seemed scared before disappearing!

Gyutaro: Scared, huh?

Gyutaro pulls away his weapon, the man exhaling with relief. Gyutaro looks at the door where Zenitsu came, already back in his uniform and holding Ume's equipment.

Zenitsu: Ready!

Kyogoku Man: Wait, isn't that—

Gyutaro: Good job. Let's go.

Gyutaro and Zenitsu leave, leaving a frightened Kyogoku man alone.

Lady: Monster! THERE'S A MONSTER!

Other Lady: What's wrong?

Lady: There's a boar monster breaking the ceiling and the floor!

Inosuke, back in his uniform, rushes around the place, crashing into walls.

Inosuke: HAHAHAHA! NO SECRET TUNNEL CAN HIDE FROM THE KING OF THE MOUNTAINS!

Inosuke breaks the wall, revealing a small room with a large hole in the ground.

Inosuke: HAHAHA! Found you!

Inosuke jumps into the hole with no precautions.

Uzui: What's taking Suma so long!?

Makio: Whatever, let's just eat.

Hinatsuru: Just eat one of the other captives if you're so hungry.

Makio: Fine! Maybe I will!

Makio turns around and heads to a prisoner, the lady is passed out and limp.

Makio: Now then—

???: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Everyone turns to the large tunnel entrance. Inosuke drops in from nowhere. He looks around.

Inosuke: What's with all the demons!? FIGHT ME!

Everyone: ...

Ume: (Of all the people to save me, why him?)