Chapter 10

I checked the clock for the hundredth time.

12pm. It read.

Where are they? I wondered silently as I played the Wii with Veronica. I was growing worried. My parents should have picked me up an hour ago...

"Rain, it's okay. They're probably busy. I can get my Mum to call your parents if you want?" Veronica said as she paused the game.

"Yes please." I nodded.

"Okay, follow me." Veronica rose from her beanbag and padded across the hallway and into her mum's office. "Mum?" She asked as I rounded the corner behind her. "Can you give Rain's parents a call and see when they are coming?"

"Sure." Veronica's mum smiled and reached for her phone. She flipped it open and started scrolling down her contacts for my mum's number. At last, she pressed call and passed the phone to me. I took the phone and held it to my ear.

I waited in tense silence as it connected and began ringing. Almost immediately, it went to voicemail. My mother's voice rang from the phone. "Hey, this is Jayne and you've reached my voicemail! Sorry for not answering, I'm on my way to Paris! Yipee! Call back in a day or so, bye!"

__________________

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I hugged Veronica. "She's left me. She and my dad." I cried. "How could they do that?!" I let out a hysterical sob and Veronica patted my back reassuringly.

"It's okay..." For once, the talkative Veronica didn't know what to say. At last she said, "You can live with me."

"Um.." Veronica's mum came up behind us. "Veronica may I speak with you alone?"

Veronica sighed softly and released the hug, walked after her mother and towards the offica. "Yes mum?" She asked expectantly as the door closed.

I rose from the beanbag and made my way silently towards the office door. I had to know what Veronica and her mum were talking about.

As I reached the door, I heard Veronica's voice. "Her parents have just abandoned her and you're thinking of kicking her out?! She'll be on the streets!"

"But sweety, we can't afford to have another person living here with us. I have work and I don't have time to look after two girls. I can barely look after you!" Her mum retorted.

"Then get a babysitter!" Veronica hissed.

"If your father were here, it'd be easier." Her mum whispered.

Veronica shouted, "Do not bring up Dad! He doesn't deserve to be talked about."

"You know, Veronica, that your father wasn't always a drug addict.." her mum murmured softly.

Suddenly, the door swung open and I fell into the room, at Veronica's and her mum's feet.

"Whoops." I muttered.

_________________________