Part 13

You're on your seat, anticipating the speech of the two men after your friends had done theirs. You're trying to get Jungkook's attention to wish him luck but he's not meeting your gaze, his eyes focused elsewhere, and you think he's just trying to calm his nerves.

Jin starts, the history and jokes about the friendship of the three making everyone laugh, but he wraps his part by saying that of all the things that this clumsy best friend had broken in his lifetime, the one thing he'd never broken and he's sure that Namjoon never will is his promise to love Da-eun with all his heart.

Jungkook is given the mic and he takes a deep breath before he starts, then proceeds to say how he takes credit for his stupidity for why Namjoon and Da-eun met in the first place. He talks about just how whipped his best friend is, how he ends up being a blubbering mess when it comes to her, and how as Jungkook reflected on their love story, he got to reflect on his own.

"You see, it hit Namjoon hard when I was in a bad place," Jungkook says. "He took the train to Busan every weekend to see me, taking time away from being with Da-eun. But she let him, because she's kind that way." Jungkook smiles at her.

"The day she was gonna introduce him to his parents to ask them to accept him, to give him a chance and ask for their blessing, was the day I got into an accident and she, uh," Jungkook clears his throat, "she had no hesitation in letting him leave because Joon needed to be a friend and she knew how important it was for him to be there for me."

Jungkook bites his quivering lip and still refuses to look at you.

"That... isn't part of the script," Yoongi hums.

"How do you know?" You ask.

"Those two practiced their speeches with me."

You turn back to the front where suddenly, Jungkook holds your gaze.

"It sounds simple but Da-eun made that decision, no questions asked, to let Joon go because it was important for him and I always think about that, how Da-eun knew that she'd lose her family's blessing and their support but it didn't matter. Sometimes we make the hard decision because we need to, because we need to be something for someone, for ourselves, even at the cost of something else important."

Jungkook looks around before he turns to you again.

"Her family's not here. Who knows how different things would've been if Joon didn't come to me, if he went to meet her family instead? But they both made that call and they dealt with the consequences, together. And I'll always admire them for that strength and most of all, for their faith in each other and in their love that it would withstand anything. Because that's what love is supposed to do, right? It forces you to make the hard decisions and you make them because you love the person you're making them for. Even if it hurts, even if it causes you to lose something, even if it makes you doubt sometimes. And it's that kind of great love that doesn't go away, and I would be stupid to let it go the second time around."

The tears fall from your eyes before you could stop them. You quickly wipe them away and sigh in relief to discover that you're not the only one crying.

"That was beautiful," Hoseok says from next to you. "It almost felt like he knows how it feels to make hard decisions for the one you love. And I think so do you," he smiles, an effort on his part to comfort you.

"I, uhm, I have to go," you say, trembling, as you stand from your seat and quickly glance at Jungkook, who's being pulled by his friends and the photographer, his colleague, for a photoshoot.

"Hey, don't go through this alone again," Yoongi calls from behind you.

"I'll be okay, Yoon. Just tell Da-eun I needed to go. She'll understand why."