Chapter 10

After a night of tears and being forced to be this man's personal breeding station, I finally managed to get out of bed as he slept. I slipped on a dress, just something to cover me as I ran to the beach; I won't need it for long. Once dressed, I slipped downstairs to see some of the men asleep. I fought back a curse as I went for the door as quietly as possible.

Out the door, I turned and was about to take off to the beach when I ran into someone, not just anyone, "Caspia?" I heard Gregory say,

"Sorry, Mr. Anderson," I said, but he put on a smile and said,

"Gregory, dear. We are family now, after all." I had to bite my tongue hard to keep from saying something that could ruin my chances of escape. "Where are you off so early in the morning?" He asked,

"Oh, just down to the beach for an early morning stroll." I replied, hoping he wouldn't get suspicious, "What about you?" I asked,

"Final preparations for the ship before we take off." He said, "Captain wanted me to bring out your old basket, thinking we might need it before too long." I mentally scoffed at the thought,

"Surely my father knows that it could be quite some time before that is necessary?" I say, but Gregory shrugs,

"Hunter did inform us that you two have been putting forth the effort into a child diligently." He said, "I'm surprised you can take your walk." It took everything I had not to vomit, punch him in the face, or both.

"Mr. Anderson, family or not, that is completely inappropriate to say to a young woman." I scolded him, hoping he could shut him up so I could be on my way.

"My apologies, Caspia." He said, "I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable." I nodded and began to make my way to the beach. But then, "How about I come with you?" I cursed under my breath,

"It's alright," I say, "I can manage on my own." I hurried off to the beach before he could say anything else.

When I got to the beach, I could hear shouting and see torches in the distance. The townspeople and the old man I had helped were there. It wasn't until I got closer that I realized they were coming from the rock formation I had met Adella at. "Adella," I muttered under my breath as I ran toward the shouting. They had Adella in a net, completely helpless.

"See!" The old man shouted, "I told you I wasn't crazy!" I pushed past the people, grabbed my knife, and drove for the netting. Everyone began yelling at me, but I didn't care. Once Adella was free, I made way for her to get back into the water,

"Caspia!" Adella shouted for me,

"Go!" I told her, "I'll be okay; just go!" Adella, with tears in her eyes, dove into the dark depths of the water. I was fighting the men back as best I could before I could make a break for the water, but I was hit over the head, and everything went black...

I woke up with a splitting headache. I sat up and tried to get up, but I realized that I was rocking; I realized that I was on the ship. Hunter walked in, "What are you doing out of bed?" He asked, leading me back to the bed.

"What happened?" I asked,

"You caused a riot when you cut loose the mermaid they had captured." He told me, "You were injured."

"And the mermaid?" Hunter got up, grabbing a bowl of what looked to be broth,

"Escaped." He said, a rush of relief washed over me. Adella got away. "But, there was something," Hunter said, "the men said that it called you by your name." Oh, shit. "How could that thing know your name? Unless you already knew about it." He watched me silently, handing me the broth, "What did you think was going to happen?" Hunter asked me, "What, did you think you two could run off together? You're human! And a woman! And most importantly, my wife!"

"I feel more like a prisoner of obligation and a burden than your wife." I snapped,

"Don't disrespect me, Caspia." He growled, "We've been married for a week now, and all you have done since we were wed is disrespect me and cause nothing but trouble!"

"At least I'm not trying to prove to myself who I am." Hunter stormed out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

He said we have already been married a week, which gives me a timeframe of how long I've been out of it. That morning was two days after we were married, I believe, which means that we are somewhere between Newmark and Xanderville, which by ship is roughly a two to three-week journey back to Windenburg. Now I just need to figure out a new escape plan.

Hunter returned with the ship's doctor; he gave me a once over and ensured I wasn't concussed before turning to Hunter. I'm not sure what the doctor had said, but whatever it was, it earned me a dirty look from Hunter, who left with the doctor, leaving me alone once again.

I heard the men shouting, "Man overboard!" And the rustling of feet hitting the ground; then someone else called, "It's a woman." My eyes widened as I went up the stairs and saw they pulled over a woman, and not just any woman, Adella. She had dark legs and was wrapped in a blanket as she shivered,

"Thank you." She said to the men as they handed her some water; then my father stepped forward,

"I'm Captain Thomas Thatch. This is my crew and my daughter's family." He tells her, "Welcome aboard the Crimson Sea."

"Thank you, Captain." She said, "It is an honor."

"What is your name?" He asked; I got scared for a moment until she replied,

"Rose Addams." I was shocked my father and the others were buying her story! She said, "I was on a ship, sailing to the mainland, and a horrible storm swept through; I've been floating around for weeks."

"Caspia," my father said, "take Miss Addams to your room and help her change into something dry."

"Yes, father." I say, then turn to Adella, "Miss Addams, if you'll follow me." We went off to my room alone.