Chapter 21

"We need to attack!" One of the council members yelled; even after a month, I can't remember their names. "We could be whipped out tomorrow if we don't!"

"We could be whipped out today, councilman." Mother said, "It could be today, tomorrow, or even years down the road."

"My mother is right." I tell them, "Even if we attacked now, our entire existence would be eradicated in an instant."

These old merfolk hate being stood up to, but it needs to be done. We would be better off handing ourselves over if we attacked unprepared. Even with the training everyone has received, we're still nowhere near ready to go against the humans. "What do you propose we do then, princess?" One of the council members asked. I began to think, my mother and Adella observing me.

Adella nudged my arm, trying to get my attention, "Whatever the decision, Caspia, we need to think of what's best for our family too." I smiled, cupping her hands. Since she learned I was pregnant, Adella has been making me take it easy, but as the princess, I can't afford to take it easy. These are my people, and I need to help protect them.

"I think we should stay on alert." I tell them, "Don't go anywhere alone and double security near Windenburg. That should give us enough time to prepare for an attack." All of the council members stared at me,

"Are you saying no one is prepared for this battle? You are the one who trained them." I forced a smile and said through gritted teeth,

"That may be, councilmen; however, they have only had a few months of training. I have been training my entire life. Believe me, it takes longer than a month to learn what they have learned." I could see my mother smirking out of the corner of my eye; it was so subtle it probably wouldn't have been noticed by another being, but I could feel the pride radiating off of her as I dealt with the council.

"We are not ready; that much is clear." I told them, "But if we stay on alert, we can be ready as we can be for a fight." They all glanced amongst themselves; I sighed, "Look," I said, rising from my seat, "I don't want to lose any of my people. The thought of it makes me sick, but we haven't had much time, and now, we're going up against people I've trained with. People I lived with under my father's rule."

"Is that supposed to give us hope?"

"No." I replied, "It's supposed to tell you we have an advantage. It's a small one, but it's an advantage nonetheless. We'll take our chance with it; that's all we can ask for now." I watched them as they nodded in agreement. Then my mother rose from her seat,

"Very well," she says, "I suppose the matter is settled then." The council members nodded, "Follow the Princess's orders and get ready for the battle." The councilmen got up and swam out. I heaved a heavy breath of relief and sat back down in my seat,

"You did great, Caspia!" Adella told me happily; I only smiled,

"You're worried about what they were saying, right?" Mother asked,

"Is it that obvious?" I asked; she nodded, "I've been training everyone for over a month, and they expect them to be at my combat level. It's unrealistic. It took me years to get to my training status as it is." Adella rubbed my shoulders,

"They just want this to be over, Caspia. And they want someone to blame for things out of our control." Mother tells me. I nodded, "Why don't you two go off and enjoy some time alone together." Adella didn't even give me a chance to respond. She carefully pulled me out of my chair, and we swam off, but I didn't know where we were going.

Adella pulled me to the city's edge, pulling me into another abyss deeper than the one we went through to get to Nephnis. We swam as deep as we could until Adella brought me to a ledge, hiding behind the rocks, "Watch." She whispered. I did as she said and began to watch; all I could see was the darkness of the water, that is, until a bright array of colors began to fill the cavern. The sight nearly took my breath away...

"Adella," I whispered to her, "this is beautiful!" She giggled,

"I found this when I was a child. I was being teased by some other children because I was a bit smaller than them, and I didn't transform until I was fifteen."

"You were a late bloomer?" I asked; Adella nodded,

"But when I started showing my strength and my figure began to become more feminine, they stopped teasing, and we all went on with our lives." I smiled, wrapping my arm around her waist. Something about this moment struck something in me that I turned her over onto her back and got on top of her, kissing her lips.

It seemed like it was just the two of us for a moment, but she pushed me away slightly, staring into my eyes, "Are you sure, Cas?" She asked, "You said you wanted to wait before."

"I know," I said, "but something about this moment...just feels right." Adella smiled, not daring to question my feelings, and attacked my lips again, flipping us over. Hence, I was on my back, and we began moving together.

I didn't know what I was doing, but I let my body take control, and soon, I heard Adella's moans fill the waters as the colors danced around as we made love. From our breasts, our hips, every inch of us radiated heat as we both came to our ends.

This couldn't have been a more perfect moment for us to have our first time. When it was over, we both lay down on the cool, slick surface of the rocks, catching our breaths as the colors faded. I turned to Adella and asked, "So, did I do it right?" Adella turned to me, smiling,

"I enjoyed it." She said, but that didn't answer my question, "Truthfully, I wouldn't know. No one in my family has ever been mated to a mermaid, only mermen or humans." She replied; I nodded,

"I didn't know what I was doing either." She already knew, I admitted, "I just followed my body; figured it knew what to do." Adella giggled, caressing my curves, sending tingles throughout my body,

"It certainly paid off, my love." We both giggled and kissed; that feeling grew once again, and before I knew it, we were making love for a second time.