Chapter 8: Sounds

Noah - Day 1

My head was pounding - again - when I woke up this morning. Aside from the internal banging of a hangover, there was clattering and music coming from the kitchen. When I opened my eyes, I was in the living room, crashed out against the armrest of Saturn's couch. I could see her moving form in the kitchen, but just barely.

Groaning and holding my head, I straightened up, seeing that the sun was barely peeking over the horizon. Saturn didn't even seem to realize that I was up and moving, so I went to take a shower and change my clothes.

When I got into the guest room, the clock on the nightstand told me that it was just after six in the morning. For some reason, I just knew today was going to be a long one. I rubbed my eyes before walking into the bathroom and showering. I got dressed and tied my hair back up before heading into the kitchen.

Cease to Exist by Suicide Silence was playing on the bluetooth speaker on the island with stacks of plates, bowls, baking sheets, and other kitchen supplies surrounding it. Saturn was standing on the countertop pulling two skillets out of the top shelf of the cabinet with gloved hands.

"What are you doing? It's barely seven in the morning," I said, yawning.

She muttered something under her breath while, literally, jumping onto the floor and setting the cookware on the island. Getting a better look at the kitchen, there were spices and a few random ingredients to nothing sitting on the countertop.

I walked over and turned the speaker down as Happier by Marshmello and Bastille came on, "I couldn't hear you," I said.

"Restless, so I'm organizing the kitchen," she said, sounding like she wasn't fully there.

"Okay, tell me what to do and I'll help," I responded, walking over to where she was once again standing on the counter. She handed me different pieces of cookware, flatware, or storage tubs while directing me on where to lay them out.

The music bounced around every genre with every song change, but when Enough, Enough Now ended and some country band came on, I couldn't help but speak up, "What the hell even is this playlist?" I asked with a chuckle.

She whipped around with a pan in her hand so fast I thought she was going to fall, "Don't you speak on Whiskey Myers, Richmond boy," she said warningly, while pointing the pan at me, "This was my first concert and I love them dearly."

I laughed at her as I grabbed the pot, "It's not the band, it's the fact that your playlist went from my music to this and immediately before that it was $uicideboy$ and NF before that. You're all over the place. I can appreciate liking multiple genres, but on one playlist?"

She shook her head at me, "Fuck off, it reflects me. Now, do I need to educate your sorry ass on the godly writers that are Whisky Myers?"

I shrugged, "Sure, why not."

Saturn - Day 1

After deep cleaning the kitchen and showing Noah my favorite band, we sat for a few moments in silence, resting. The silence started to eat at me, so I stood up and sighed. Walking across the freshly organized and cleaned kitchen, I opened my junk drawer and pulled out a notepad and pen.

Turning back to the island and finding Noah watching me, I ignore the stare and click the pen, "I have barely any food left in my pantry and I want to cook again. We need a grocery list."

I turned around and pulled open the fridge with a gloved hand. Making note of what was stocked, I turned back around and began to write a list of some of the basic things we needed, eggs, milk, cheese, that kind of thing. After I had completed the list, I sat, leaned over the counter, staring at the pen in my hand.