chapter 5.

mingi's pov

yunho and i were currently sitting in my room, in silence. he sat rather uncomfortably, tense as if he was scared of my next words.

it would be entirely justifiable for him to feel that way...

i was truthfully trying to approach the situation in the calmest, safest way i possibly could; especially since i wasn't aware of the depth of his situation. he probably wouldn't feel comfortable talking about it with someone he's known for less than a week.

taking a deep breath, i averted my attention away from my thoughts and back to yunho. "okay yun... first i just want to clarify that you aren't obligated to respond to me, and you don't owe me any explanation. i don't know exactly how to bring this up, so i'm sorry if my words come out jumbled, " i paused, sitting closer to the older and grabbing his hand gently. "when i asked you to get an egg for me, i happened to notice some— uhm. some bruises on your torso when your shirt lifted. is... is everything alright at home, yun? i know how personal that question is, but i care so much for you, and i really worry about you..."

as soon as the topic of discussion had been revealed, all the color abruptly drained from yunho's face. the guilt of the situation was beginning to creep up on me.

why couldn't you have waited? that was so inconsiderate mingi.

"uhm. well..." the older hugged his legs securely against his chest, rocking back and forth subtly. "okay, well i'll give you an explanation because i trust you. i don't think i'm ready to share every single detail yet... is that alright?"

"of course it is yun! just know that if it's too soon, we can drop this conversation and do something else," i spoke to him as softly as possible, adjusting my position on my bed so i could embrace the latter as he spoke.

"okay, well, first i'll just clarify that i don't have the best home life... i live with my mom and her boyfriend, and they're both equally as toxic. to be honest, my mom wasn't always like that, b-but it's like after i went to therapy and got diagnosed with things, she thought it'd be a good idea to use them against me? however that works. so yeah, i guess they're the cause of what— what you saw."

my eyes immediately softened with sympathy. my urge to protect this man was only increased and substantiated with each word yunho muttered. "yun... oh my god, i never would've expected that," i thought carefully about what to say before replying to yunho. i couldn't afford to make him uncomfortable with me. "yunnie, listen to me okay? you are always welcome here if you feel unsafe at home. i want to be a safe space for you no matter what. i know we haven't known each other for long, but i care for you so much already and it hurts me knowing how much you're hurting. god," i breathed sharply as i felt tears stain my face. i hugged yunho securely before speaking again, "i wish i could protect you from them— from everything that hurts you," i love you, yunho, were the words i wished to say.

just wait, mingi. now is not the time.

"oh my god min... why are you so perfect?" the older mumbled, followed by a sniffle. he slowly pulled away from my embrace, looking up to make eye contact. his irises shined as if they were glowing; as if they hypnotized me and captured my attention, without the slightest intention of letting it go."i don't even think someone more supportive than you exists, thank you so much mingi... i don't deserve you."

"jeong yunho. don't ever say that again," my smile immediately dropped when he spoke. i don't think i'd ever be able to understand how or why he thinks about himself like that. "you deserve the world, plus so much more. but you seem tired, do you want to get some rest yunnie?" the latter then nodded slowly, before shifting our positions so we could sleep comfortably. we were cuddled up close, facing each other with yunho's head only slightly below mine, i could see his eyes slowly relax, signaling that he had fallen asleep.