chapter 4.

mingi's pov

once yunho had rushed off, all of us were slightly confused— everything had happened so fast. "seonghwa... what did you say to him? he doesn't get like that for no reason," i interrogated the older as i did have slight suspicions of him being a contributor to yunho's attack.

"nothing i said was unreasonable! he bumped into me and just stared, he didn't even say 'sorry' or anything. god, he's so fucking weird." i wasn't appreciative of the words muttered by seonghwa, but nonetheless, i brushed it off, not wanting to get worked up over it. his facial expressions showed that he was getting defensive; as if i was accusing him of something.

"i kind of feel bad for him," hongjoong sighed as he sulked, staring at the floor. "he seems a lot... worse than the last time we spoke. sometimes i regret cutting contact with him, you know?" my ears perked up at the shorter's words; maybe there was something i could do to bring the group closer like they used to be. another part of me was hesitant about this idea, as i didn't even know the details of what happened between them.

"i agree, i tend to miss him from time to time— wait. how do you know him mingi? i doubt you guys are strangers if he let you hug him like that," yeosang questioned as he crossed his arms, a small smirk forming on his lips.

"oh, he sits next to me in most of my classes, and then i later found out we were neighbors, so i think you could say we're friends!" i spoke excitedly. i'm not sure why i liked talking about yunho so much. just thinking about him made me feel warm, he was similar to a safe space.

"wait, neighbors? that's interesting... have you been to his house yet?" i cocked my eyebrow in confusion, immediately turning all of my attention towards seonghwa.

"why are you asking me this? i've known him for like 2 days, of course, i haven't been to his house," ironic, i thought. i'm saying this as if i didn't invite him over despite knowing him for only a few hours.

seonghwa scoffed and presented an unreadable expression. i wasn't sure what it meant, but i do know it didn't look like anything positive. "well, when we were all friends, there wasn't a single time where he had invited us over— he had been to all of ours, and multiple times too. any time someone had hinted at going to his place, he was always quick to deny any possibility of it. it was really fucking weird like he was hiding shit that he didn't want people to see."

a wave of concern rapidly washed over me. what if something is wrong? i thought back to how yunho hurried home the previous morning. was someone waiting for him? or maybe there is nothing wrong, and he just prefers to keep his personal spaces, well, personal?

but that didn't seem like something yunho would do.

brushing the thought off for now, i attempted to change the topic. i didn't want to talk about yunho with someone who seems to think rather negatively of him. "ah, that is a little odd... we've been standing in this aisle for a while now, we should probably go before someone thinks we're suspicious."

after a few hours at the mall, hongjoong dropped me off at my house and we each said our goodbyes. i wasn't focused on hongjoong at all— i was so distracted by the thought of yunho. should i try to call him? i really want to check on him...

"mingi? is everything alright? you keep zoning out dear," i snapped my head toward the direction of the voice, recognizing it as my mother's. when did she get back?

"oh, hi mom," i hesitated to continue; i knew as soon as i mentioned yunho, she'd be asking me for the date of our wedding— nevertheless, i continued on. "did you ever get the chance to greet our neighbors— specifically the ones directly across the street from us?"