3. Set My Rules

Thanks for reading and excuse any mistakes.

– SAN DIEGO| HONEY

Honey was kicking it outside her pops' office, just waiting around. Her dad Willie was an architect and designer who started WAA Inc. back in '06 after dipping outta Virginia. The company blew up - he went from 200 employees to three locations out in Cali.

"A'ight, come on in Honey," said Erin, Willie's assistant, waving her through with an armful of folders. She seemed stressed as Honey thanked her. Pops made people nervous for some reason, even though he came up hard in the Richmond ghetto. Honey didn't get why he fronted like he was high society.

Willie had his back to Honey, peeping the view out the window. San Diego sunrises were no joke. Growing up blessed by sunshine amongst the homes, Honey appreciated the light.

Willie turned, slipped off his glasses, cleared his throat. "Good morning. Wanted you here to partner up on a deal for your company." Honey nodded, lips tucked. Seemed weird he didn't just meet at her place or mention it at dinner. Felt like he didn't want mom to know.

"Give me the deets?" Honey sat up, quizzical.

Willie chuckled, glasses dangling from his mouth, came around behind her. Honey got guarded - she wasn't used to this version of pops. He pulled up a chair, close, and dropped into a slick tone. Oh he was playing games now. But Honey wasn't about to let him hustle her.

As her smile shrank, Honey said "Dad, you gotta give me more info if we're partnering up. Anyway, what's mom cooking tonight?" She switched gears, and saw him clench his jaw. Willie and Honey's relationship was complicated - Well, Honey inherited his stubborn streak.

" WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO BE STUBBORN?" Willie shouted, frustrated, throwing his hand up and standing, going around his desk.

" WHAT DO YOU MEAN? You want me to be a bit-" Honey's last words were cut short by a sudden slap. Her father assaulted her, and she couldn't believe it. As she looked at him with anger, she stormed off, ignoring his attempts to apologize. Getting on the elevator, she pushed the close button multiple times, closing the door. In her mind, she saw the restraining order paper.

Neither her father nor her mother should make her go to dinner tonight. Honey tried to mend her relationship with her father, but now he continues to be an asshole. A little chuckle escaped her lips as she poked her tongue against her cheek and shook her head.

From the building, she walked to the parking lot's bottom level. Taking her keys out of her MCM backpack, she heard the chirping sound of her BMW vehicle accessing the door. After throwing her bag in the backseat and closing the door, she got in the driver's seat.

Her forehead rested against the steering wheel. "Oh, my gosh." Her Apple Watch read 11:40. Due to her busy schedule, she hadn't gone grocery shopping. Since she didn't want to go shopping tonight, she would have takeout.

In her car, Honey turned up the volume to 9 and played gospel music on the radio. Her next stop was IN-N-OUT BURGER. Her favorite fries were animal-style fries. She ordered animal-style fries and a medium strawberry shake at the drive-thru. After getting her food, she made her way home, but she was already stuck in traffic.

" Welp, I'll guess I'll eat." She shrugged her shoulder, opening the bag in the passenger seat. She started eating her fries until she was finished and still in traffic at 12:30. 

   She was caught off guard when her phone started ringing in the backseat while she was looking straight ahead. Her parents kept ignoring it, thinking it was her. She gave in when the phone kept ringing. She checked the number before answering. According to the number, it appears to be an old area code. The number was familiar, she couldn't deny it. Recalling was something she was hesitant to do. Pushing it was her response.

The hyper voice filled the phone. "HONEY! Oh my gosh, is this you?!" Honey squinted her eyes, trying to find the tone of the person. She searched through the people she knew in her head.

She whispered, " Is it Deontay ?" Deontay was her male best friend in Richmond. He used to do her hair and dress her up sometimes. After she left Richmond, she lost connection with people. She figured it wasn't the best for her because she would reminisce about her time in a tricky spot mentally.

                 " My baby!" He shouted, and she turned the volume down, staring at his number on the stereo. " We have much to discuss, but we can save that for when you visit next week." He spoke, and she held a puzzled expression of her visiting Richmond next week.

       She hasn't been there in years. Honey wasn't sure if she wanted to face the obstacles of going back. She made sure once she left Richmond, she wouldn't go back.

          " Wait, I'm going where?" 

        Deontay took his phone from his ear and held it close to his mouth. " YOU ARE COMING TO RICHMOND." He shouted, and Honey covered her eyes, laughing. She couldn't stand him. " Deon, I can't stand you. Still the same loud mouth-" She was cut off by him continuing his topic on him already buying plane tickets. " Since you confirmed this number is you, honey tea. I just purchased your ticket. You betta' bring yo' ass down, Dimples." She covered her face laughing at how loud and dramatic Deontay was.

        The cars gradually move enough for Honey to take a shortcut back home. " So, if I go back? What are we doing there?" She quizzed, getting off the highway.

      " Honey Tea, we are having a week's sleepover for my babies. All y'all hoes left me here in the ghetto, Chile." She smirked, shaking her head at his statement.

Honey figured her friends would split from Richmond. Nadia always dreamed of living in Chicago and becoming a plastic surgeon, and Honey saw Deanna on a billboard in California for being an author.

     " You are not in the wind, sweetie. I'm sure you are doing something with cosmetics. By the way, you used to hook our hair up." Honey complimented, and thinking back on times, he came in clutch for the girl's hairstyles.

            " OOH, honey tea, I eat the gworls up with my hairstyles and wig techniques. Check my Instagram Dimples. I can't wait to play in y'all hair. It's Arrogant_Tae123.  I have 2.4M followers. I've done hair shows and classes. I do Nicki Minaj's hair when she needs me for video shoots, photoshoots, and anything you can think of honey, so I'm paid.

        " Oh my gosh, Deon. I'm proud of you!" She clapped, almost crashing. She did a squeal maneuvering the vehicle back straight.

  Honey was proud of the fact that everyone was handling their business finances well. Upon arriving home, she cut off the engine, switched back to her phone, and pressed the speaker. Once out of the vehicle, she put her backpack on and unlocked her door while holding her cell phone.

After entering the kitchen, she placed her bag on the counter. " Okay, Deon. I'll promise to have my ass at the airport next week." Laughing, she said. Perhaps it was time to return to Richmond.

" Dimples, you had no choice but to come. I know where you are at, Miss San Diego." She widened her eyes at him saying her location. She thought she had erased her information from the sites. " Anywho, we gotta get into some things, and you remember Jovan? My brother, Chile, wants to see you too. Did I mention he does makeup?" Deontay informs Honey, and she responds with a ' No.'

         " Welp! SEE YOU WHEN I SEE YA PEACE!" He shouted. Honey's ear hears the sound of the phone call ending.

      " That boy is crazy."Honey joked, adding him to her contacts.