16. Forgiven but not forgotten

Two days ago, Honey's parents' house had erupted into chaos, but she and Czar were already miles away by the time the dust settled

Two days ago, Honey's parents' house had erupted into chaos, but she and Czar were already miles away by the time the dust settled. Honey stared out the passenger window, still processing the incident that had left her parents shaken and appalled. She wanted to believe Czar's eruption had been a one-time thing, but his parting words about removing obstacles haunted her. She hadn't told a soul; this would stay between them.

Now back at their Virginia home, a heavy silence hung between them. Honey waited for Czar to explain himself, to acknowledge how out of line he'd been, but he acted as if nothing had happened at all.

Perched on the edge of the couch, Czar sparked up another blunt, just one of many since their hasty return. He knew the smoke nauseated Honey, so he'd switched from cigarettes to weed around her. But right now, he needed something to take the edge off and slow his racing thoughts about their future. In his mind, he saw it all - the wedding, her as a stay-at-home mom, the two of them fucking like rabbits. But he knew those dreams hung by a delicate thread after the weekend's events. He just needed to relax and figure out how to fix this.

Czar took a long drag from the blunt, watching Honey enter the kitchen on her phone, deliberately avoiding eye contact. He smirked, amused by her silent treatment. After all, they had moved into the same house - she'd have to talk to him eventually.

Honey hung up and made herself a bowl of watermelon and cantaloupe. Just as she grabbed it to head to the living room, Czar's voice stopped her.

"Come on, Honey. I'm sorry for how I acted with your parents. Willie got under my skin," he admitted sincerely, ashamed that he'd let his temper get the best of him.

Though she pretended not to listen, Honey heard him. She turned and sat facing Czar, whose usual cocky demeanor had vanished. At first, he found her silence funny, but now it depressed him that she refused to speak. Little did he know, that was her intention - to humble him without a word, knowing she held power over him that few others did. Her silence reminded Czar of her absence, which he couldn't bear again.

Finally, Honey spoke. "You made a fool of yourself, Czar. And you split my father's head open." Czar's heart sank at her scolding. He never wanted Honey upset with him, especially not when they'd just reconnected. Her displeasure felt like losing her all over again.

Czar snapped, "Your dad's an asshole, Honey. His glares said I'm not good enough for you. But no man loves you like I do - not even your father."

Honey's face softened. He was right - this was the first time a boyfriend had sincerely apologized. Others would be shocked, given Czar's reckless reputation. But Honey knew him before all that. He kept it real with her, flaws and all.

Czar pleaded, "What can I do?"

Silently, Honey retrieved paper and pencil from her office and held them out to him. Confused, Czar took them as she sat back down. "Write me a letter apologizing. I'll read it after brunch with friends and decide if you're back in my good graces."