15. Love is a Dangerous game

" Congratulations to the class of 2010 at Essex High

" Congratulations to the class of 2010 at Essex High." The older white female principal shouted into the mic earning balloons and other celebrations to go off while Honey had a blank expression on her face.

She departed from her classmates brushing past happy classmates and hugging their families in crowds while she was looking for her parents and realized they apparently on purpose or maybe had an accident missing her high school graduation. She couldn't believe it. They had her move out here only for them to miss one of the biggest moments in her life.

She exits the room and walks the hall and her eyes land on her worried mother scanning and looking around for her and stops when she sees Honey about to cry. Her mother hangs the phone up on Willie and goes to Honey and tries to hug her but Honey moves aside blocking the hug.

" Where were you two? I can't believe you guys missed one of the biggest moments in my life. Don't you dare even think about an excuse because I do everything to become flexible for you?" She hints at her leaving Virginia for California, and she does not want to be here.

Her mother had nothing to say but tears steam down her cheeks.

" Honey, I'm sorry we just got caught up at the airport. I was coming in from London and your father is still in Russia trying to find a flight." At this moment Honey knew on the low her parents had a lack of respect for her.

Not bothering to respond, she brushes past her mother walks out of the building crying throws her cap on the ground, and stomps on it. Running down the street her mind wandered to her life back in Virginia and when she got the chance she was leaving.

She had left her entire life in Virginia. What if one day she got the chance to go back?

- PRESENT-
SAN DIEGO

Honey stood amidst the organized chaos of movers shuffling in and out of her half-empty home, taking her life in California apart piece by piece. She hadn't yet broken the news to her parents that she was moving across the country to Virginia, but her close friends and trusted assistant already knew, giving her the option to work remotely. Honey wouldn't be staying in California for more than a couple days.

This move was what Czar wanted. He knew Honey was reluctant to defy her father, which made it easier for him to finagle an invitation to tag along with her back to the East Coast. He had come to California with her, and he planned to leave with her too, without a doubt.

As Honey gathered the last of her belongings, she paused on a family photo from her college days. She gazed thoughtfully at the image until the movers emptied the home completely, carefully moving the photo to her saved collection to take to Virginia. Though she wasn't close with her parents anymore, she cherished those family photos. They brought back memories and gave her hope that her family could be whole again one day.