Level headed (chapter 4)

You stood at his desk still , sitting in silence taking in what he had said.  He took another puff from his cigar, as he looked towards what you  were doing.
"If that's the case then I will be signing you a guardianship waiver, alright? "
the smirk widened.
"Which makes me your new temporary father"
Your heart dropped.
You were afraid.
You didn't want what had happened to you before to happen again. You didn't know if you actually wanted this anymore. You didn't know if you could fully trust graves. You sat there with a little distressed look on your face and you sat in silence.
He'd then glance forward for a moment.
"Don't look so distressed y/n"
Graves then reached down and placed the cigar on his desk, as he'd then reach out his hand to you.

"Don't worry you'll be treated appropriately...Just have some trust in me alright?"
He spoke in a soft yet firm tone.
You took a moment to think before letting off a little shaky breath and nodding. He'd then smile at your nod.
" I know that's easier said than done but you're young so you're gonna need some trust over those years "
he'd then pull out a pen.
"I need you to sign this "
He'd then slide the guardianship waiver to you.
"This is what'll make it official."

You took the pen gently and took a deep breath and you signed the paper slowly. He'd take the waiver back examining your signature for a moment, as if he was judging you for it.
"Very well y/n ,  by law  I am now your caretaker and I will provide, just as your father would. "
He placed the waiver somewhere to the side as he looked at you.
"Now, your living situation won't be all that glamorous.You'll be staying with us, in our barracks ,I hope you don't like privacy"

Your eyes widened.

You didn't like the thought of staying in a barracks filled with a bunch of rugged men.
It didn't seem like the best or ideal place. You would've thought you would at least have your own room or something but no. You stood and looked at graves and you let off an exhale before speaking.
" Are there any female barracks I can't stay in ?..."
You spoke your thoughts.

Graves gave out a chuckle at your remark.
" No, y/n we don't have separate barracks for our personnel, that would be a waste of the valuable space we've already got limited of and there aren't that many women in our ranks in the first place "
he'd then sigh.
" But don't you worry, I'll ensure you're comfortable."

You felt yourself get more nervous.
You didn't like the idea of staying in a large room with a bunch of men as the only female. It made you feel unsafe and uncomfortable. You'd much rather sleep in a tent outside than be in that room. Hell you rather sleep outside with the less chance of something major happening.

His expression turned to that of an understanding one.
"Look y/n , I know you're nervous but there's no reason to be, alright?"
he'd let out a sigh as his eyebrows raised.
"I'll make sure you'll be safe here"
He wouldn't say much else as he'd turn away and walk towards the door, reaching it as he opened it.
" Follow me"
He says.

You got up out of the seat and pushed the seat back at his desk and you followed him as he opened the door. You  would then  hear steps coming from behind you , and it was the female soldier from earlier.
"Commander Graves "
she'd speak with a stern and almost demanding voice.

"may I have a few words with you"
He'd then turn around to look at her, his body almost blocking you from seeing what the two were doing.
" Yes, Private?"
Graves spoke quietly so you couldn't hear.
"What do you intend to do with y/n?... "
she spoke.
"She'll be staying with us"
Graces responded.
"How long?"
She spoke.

You couldn't hear exactly what was going on but you knew it sounded important. They were speaking not even above a whisper. You couldn't hear and you wanted to hear what they said but there was no avail. You stood there waiting for the conversation to be over.

The female soldier stayed quiet for a moment, but she'd soon speak again.
" You can't be serious, Commander Graves.. I refuse to allow her to stay with us "
She spoke in a firm quiet tone.
" Come on, y/n's not that bad"
he'd say in a rather nonchalant manner.
She'd then speak.
" She's a civilian sir ,There's no reason for her to be here"
Graves would remain silent for a moment before he spoke once again.
" I made a decision. The decision is final. "

You heard what she had said in the last part and your eyes narrowed.
" just because I'm a civilian doesn't mean anything."
You glared.
The female soldier, who's name is private Riley , would look at you , her eyes narrowed as well.
" You don't understand how this works, civilian..."

Graves would then speak up once more.
" I made the decision, Riley. Y/n will stay if I want her to, you'll have to deal with it "
Riley looked back at graves.
" Very well, sir.... "
she then turned and began to walk away
"y/n, come... "

You followed graves and looked back at Riley as she walked away. Riley  would remain silent as she walked away, and she'd turn the corner as if she refused to even acknowledge you.

Graves however, would look back over at you  as he spoke.
" She's not the one to really like people "
he'd chuckle.
" Don't take it to heart too much."
You looked at him and you thought for a moment as you spoke.
" okay..."
You spoke quietly as you finally made it to the barracks.

The new life waited ahead but the challenges that would come would be a pain that Frets