Chapter 9

Pete

I watch him disappear from my view and listen to his heavy footsteps fade away into the distance. I curl into a ball on the cold cot, wishing I was anywhere but here. Had I not been stupid enough to go searching for my brother, I wouldn't be here right now. My chest constricted with every breath I take. I don't know what I did wrong but seeing Vegas so angry with me hurt. It hurt like hell. Why didn't I just stay in the damn room? I know why... I was just so curious hearing voices right outside the door. I hadn't had any interaction with anyone besides Vegas, and his guards, who didn't even look at me. So, hearing an unfamiliar voice made me want to investigate... All I wanted was to talk to someone. I bite my bottom lip to stop it from trembling. How could I have known that I'd find that man holding a baby? And that the baby was Vegas's son... Tears slip from my eyes and down my cheeks. Vegas, the man cloaked in darkness, has a son, an innocent little boy. The image of the way he looked at me when he saw me standing next to that man... I can't get it out of my mind. He looked feral, like a momma bear rescuing her cubs. Still, the question lingered in the air. Why did he get so mad at me? Did he think I would harm his son? I had a lot of questions and no answers, and once again, I was in the cold, dark, basement. I forced myself to stop crying... swallowing down the fear that pumped through my veins. He didn't want to hurt me. I felt it in his touch and heard it in the pitch of his voice. I'm safe here and after our agreement is done, after I'd given myself to him, I'll walk away free. I tell myself this over and over again, because if I don't, I'm going to break down into a sobbing mess. Vegas hadn't promised me anything, but I felt deep down in my heart that he will let me go. He's an evil man, but I'm starting to realize I am his kryptonite. 

Snuggling deeper into myself, I close my eyes, trying to force myself to go to sleep, since that seems to be the only way out of here at the moment. I only doze off for a few minutes before the sound of approaching footsteps has me sitting straight up on the cot, my eyes open and my body on high alert. Who is coming? Is it another one of his men? The thought makes me feel dirty. My heart rate picks up with every step I hear echo throughout the basement until finally Vegas comes into view. I take a relaxing breath the moment I see him, but that relaxation is short lived. He is still angry. I can see it in his eyes, though the fury from earlier has simmered. He's still mad, and that's something to watch out for. I trust Vegas, even though I shouldn't. After all, he's given me no real reason not to. I watch eagerly as he pulls out a set of keys and unlocks the cell. I want to jump up and fall into his arms, but I don't want to be too hasty. He might not even be here to get me. So, instead, I just wait motionless on the edge of the bed, waiting for him to say something. When he doesn't, a nervous knot starts to form in my belly. Is he going to leave me down here all night? I want to plead with him, start begging him, but I remember his words, his desire to hurt me if I didn't shut up. Shock fills me when he strolls across the floor and bends down to pick me up, sliding one arm under my legs and the other under my shoulders. I put my arms around him and bury my face into the crook of his neck, taking in a deep breath, letting his unique scent fill my nose. My freezing skin on his warm body drives all my coldness away and replaces it with warmth. "I know you want me to believe you're a horrible man, but I don't. I feel safe with you," I whisper into his skin, near his ear. He stiffens but continues walking.

"You're the only person I know that would say that they feel safe in my presence." His voice booms loudly in my ears. "I do." I swallow. "I know I shouldn't. I know this is fucked up on so many levels, but I do, and I want you to know that..." I gaze down at his shirt-clad chest. "I didn't mean to scare you with your... son." Vegas's grip on my body tightens just as we reach the bedroom, and he deposits me onto the mattress. Then he walks over to the dresser and grabs something before going into the bathroom with a cup. I hear the faucet turn on and assume he's getting a glass of water. When he appears before me a few seconds later with his hand extended outward with the glass of water and a little white pill, I take them from him. He watches me intently as I take them. I shiver at his eyes upon my skin, they mark every inch of my skin with heat. "My son means the most to me, and you discovering him has ruined our perfectly integrated plans." My eyes widen at his words. "What do you mean? I thought we had an agreement?" The dim lighting in the room makes it hard to gauge Vegas's expression but when I see the evil smirk on his lips, I know something has changed. He walks over to the nightstand on the opposite side of the bed and pulls something out. When he walks back over to me, I catch a glimpse of the item in his hands. Handcuffs? Is this it? Is he just going to take from me, before finally putting a bullet in my head? How could I be so stupid? Why did I leave the room? He had been so kind to me... kinder than his father ever would've been. "I see your brain conjuring up all kinds of things." His voice sounds dangerous, and when I move back slowly onto the mattress, he's right there invading my space. He's huge, and intimidating and as I move, the shirt I'm wearing rides up my thighs. My eyes move up his body, stopping once they reach his dark orbs, but he won't meet my eyes and that terrifies me more than I care to admit. "Last time someone tied me to the bed it wasn't all that fun."