Chapter 20

Vegas

The metallic smell of blood and gunpowder coats the air. Watching them manhandle Pete the way they did has me unhinged. I kill without thought, bullet after bullet entering man after man's brain. I don't think, I simply act. My only thought at that moment is to kill and protect what is mine. I kill every single bastard here, and then move toward my father, who Macau already shot. I know Pete isn't far from where my father is right at this moment, on his knees bleeding out. If he wasn't here to think about, I would make this very slow and painful for him. But I don't want to draw it out any longer than I have to, not when I have to think about getting him out of here and to a doctor. I will have to satisfy my need by looking him in the eyes when he takes his last breath. It is good enough to know that I am taking his life and everything he ever worked for with it. Macau comes around the corner and our eyes meet. It's time to end this shit, once for all. I walk up to my father, who is already bleeding out on the ground. He is wheezing heavily, trying to get air in his lungs, but the gurgling sound he's making tells me that all he's doing is sucking in a whole lot of blood. "Did you really think you'd get away with taking him from me?" I snarl, smacking him in the back of the head with my gun. He doesn't say a word, nor do I want him to. I'm sure he can't talk around the blood rising in his throat even if he wanted to. His eyes pierce mine. They're cold, vacant, and even as he's on his way to dying, he still doesn't show a shred of remorse or compassion. "Did you really think this could end any other way? You might've faked your death last time, but you won't get that lucky this time. Today, you're fucking dying." Macau holds his gun in his hands, his finger on the trigger. Even after everything my father did to me, after the way he hurt my Mouse... I'm still giving this to him. He deserves to be the one to end our father. Macau looks at me. "Let's do it together, brother." No longer are we two little boys facing the abuse of our father. Now we're two powerful men, making the one man who was supposed to protect us from all the bad in world pay the ultimate price. I smirk. "Fuck, yeah." I position myself next to my brother. 

Together, we point our guns at our father's head. Right before the trigger is pulled, I think I see a flicker of emotion in our father's eyes. Macau pulls the trigger and then I pull my own. Our father's head snaps back as the front of his skull is torn apart by the bullets. His body hits the ground a moment later, and I feel like all my fears have vanished. Finally, we are free. Free from the darkness, the pain, the anger. I savor the moment for a few minutes, just looking at the dead body before us with my brother by my side. Everything around us has gone quiet, all the gunfire ceased, and a peacefulness washes over me. My mind slips back to the present, and I feel the need to go to Mouse. To apologize and beg for his forgiveness. "Where is he?" I ask Macau, who looks like he is deep in thought. "Around the house, I gave him a gun, so you better announce yourself," Macau warns and points me in the direction to go. I start walking toward my mouse, wondering if he even wants to see me right now. I fucking hurt him, almost killed him, threw him in the cell and basically handed him to my father when he did nothing wrong. Guilt settles so deep inside of me I know I will never fully be able to let go of this. He could've died tonight, and that's my fucking fault. He proved himself to me, earned my trust, and I didn't even let him speak. I didn't let him tell me what happened. I didn't let him defend herself, and I know I will carry this guilt with me until I take my last breath, no matter how long my life might be and regardless of whether he forgives me or not. I walk around the side of the house, stopping only when I see a small body leaning against the siding. "It's me, don't shoot." I hold my hands up and take a step closer to him. "Unless you want to shoot me. In that case go ahead, I won't hold it against you. I definitely deserve it." Mouse comes toward me and for a split second, I think he might actually shoot me, I wouldn't try and stop her if he did, but then he drops the gun to the ground and runs straight for me. His small body slams into mine, and her slim arms snake around my middle. I shouldn't be happy. I know this, but I am. I'm happy to have him back, to be rid of my father. I know I can love and be loved in return. I hold him close to my body, kissing the top of his head. "I'm so fucking sorry, Mouse. So fucking sorry. I fucked up. I hurt you. I ruined everything."

"I didn't think you would come for me. I thought I would never see you again. I thought you hated me and that I'd become your father's whore." He starts sobbing into my chest, and every single word is like another stab to my heart. I failed him in every possible way, and there is no forgetting that. I pull back slightly and grip him by the chin. I need him to hear and see me when I say these words to him. "I swear to you, Pete. If you forgive me, I will be a better man. I will care for you, and I will protect and cherish you." I stare deeply into his eyes, hoping he can see how much I mean every single word I am saying. "I should have fucking trusted you. I should have believed in you. I told you that I loved you and when it came time to prove myself, I failed you. I failed us, but it will never happen again. Never." Mouse shakes his head as if he doesn't believe me. "I still love you, Vegas. I know I probably shouldn't, but I do. I can't help it. I love you, I love V, and I'll love..." He trails off, his face falling. "I love you, too, Mouse, and I'm going to love this baby, our baby." I release my hold on his chin and move my hand between us and over his still-flat belly, which will soon be swollen with our child. I can't wait to see him full with our baby. I'll bet he looks just as sexy pregnant as he does now. "You found the test?" Surprise colors his features, and for a moment, I wonder if he was trying to hide it from me. I wouldn't be surprised if he was. I didn't exactly treat V's mother with respect or kindness when I found out he was having him, but this was different. I wanted Mouse; I didn't want the person my father had sent to me. "Yes, I came down to the cell as soon as I found it, and that's when I realized you were gone." Mouse frowns. "I didn't have time to look at the test because your men came in, but I knew I was. I felt it deep in my chest. I was going to tell you, of course, but I wanted to be sure first." "I know. I never really expected you to hide it from me, and even if you did, I wouldn't blame you. My relationship with V's mom was nothing like the one I have with you. I'd never hurt you like that... never," I assure him, because yes, I've treated him horribly, hurt him many times, and there aren't any accuses for that behavior. But now that I know what it feels like to lose him, I will never do anything to risk her life again.

"Right now, I just want to get you home, get you showered, and have Doctor come in and check on you." My hands tremble as they trace over his features. Sadness and guilt flicker in his eyes, and those two emotions mixed together frighten the hell out of me. "Do you... do you want to come home with me still?" I don't know what I'll do if he says no, but I would learn to deal with it. I can figure out how to give him some space if that's what he needs. However, if he tells me he doesn't want to see me again, I'll probably have to take him hostage all over again. "I do. I want to come with you... but I'm going to need sometime... and space. I need more freedom, and I need you to trust me, because after all of this, trust is something we need to work on." His eyes skirt from mine. "And I want to see my brother..."I try my hardest to hide the hurt from my eyes, but this fucking kills me. It hurts so fucking bad I might as well have shot myself in the chest. But if this is what he needs, then I'll give it to him. If he wants space and time for us to work on things, I will make it happen. I'll give him what he wants, for as long as I can. "Whatever you want, Mouse, and you can see your brother whenever you want. I know where he is, and he is safe." "He is?" His eyes light up. "Yes, I've seen him briefly. He looked fine, happy even." I've seen my Mouse cry many times but never with tears of joy. He is so happy hearing about his brother, and I am more than fucking glad that I could at least give him this happiness. "I'm not going to give up on you, on us. I'm sorry for everything, for hurting you, for fucking up." I wish he could feel the pain I feel over hurting her. "I'll do whatever I can to prove that to you every single day from here on out." "I know you will, Vegas. You're a good man, even if you don't think so." He pats a hand to my chest and presses a kiss to my cheek. Tears fill his eyes. He shivers, and I pull away, shrugging out of my jacket. I drape it over his slender shoulders. "Hate to break up the show, but I really want to get home to my husband." Macau's voice interrupts the silence. I nod curtly, understanding completely where he's coming from now. If Mouse wasn't here with me right now, then I'd be headed right back into his arms. "Let's get you back to the house and cleaned up," I whisper into his hair, telling myself that I can do this. I can be the man he needs me to be. Now that my father's dead, I can let go of the darkness, of the pain. I can find happiness with Mouse and show him the same love he's shown me even when I wasn't worthy of being loved by him.