Chapter 8

It's funny how life works like a seesaw: Some things go up while others drop down. Harley and Bruce's relationship continues to rise to new heights while some work activities are going down. One such thing is the gymnastics team. This year's girls are not as stellar as past years, which Harley and Coach Martin knew going into the season, but still. It makes for long afternoons, which could be better spent with the billionaire boyfriend.

Plus, it's been noted that the blonde hasn't signed up to help sponsor any school events lately. Usually, Harley supports a ton of things, so her lack of presence is noteworthy. But she has a love life now. Some things have to give, and since she can't drop gymnastics, it'll be other activities, especially those that fall on Saturday.

The other thing that's gone up and down is Harley's approval among the parents. It's funny how tearing someone down can build others up. In this case, the teacher's absence at events has led the snobby single mother's club to gossip about her. These women hate that she's dating Bruce Wayne. Quite frankly, if Harley weren't dating him, those women wouldn't care less about anything she does.

Gossip, Harley has learned, is just a tool to distract people who have nothing better to do aside from feeling jealous. But the scary thing is that people believe gossip as truth when it's nothing but a bunch of made-up "Garbage! Everything those women say is trash," the blonde told CC Wednesday after class.

The science teacher mentioned, "Well, Luella Claxton told me that Dawn Howard says the only reason you're with Bruce is because you offered your services to him."

Harley laughed. "That's as crazy as some people in Arkham. Services... It's so cavalier sounding like I'm doing his taxes or tutoring him in reading lit. I know. The next time I see him, I'll say suggestively, Hey, Bruce, why don't we review literature skills together? We can start with cause and effect."

CC snorted and said, "I like that game. Let's play. I'll give an effect. You give a cause. The gossipy shrew told the truth."

"Oh, oh, I know! Because Harley slapped her in the face," the blonde remarked.

The two friends laughed at that idea. CC played again. "Now I'll give a cause. You provide the effect. Harley wore a beautiful cocktail dress."

Wearing a wistful expression, the reading teacher stated, "And she danced the night away in her lover's arms and woke up on a cloud-like bed."

The brunette wondered, "Is your dress ready to be picked up? All the lady had to do was take it in around the bust and the bottom hem, right?"

It's this cute mini dress in black with lavender and fuschia embroidered falling flowers. Harley loved it at first sight, especially with the netted sleeves, boat neckline, and swaths of tulle on the skirt. It's perfect for a cocktail dinner with society folk. The blonde declared, "I received a text from the seamstress saying I can pick it up today. Are you sure you don't want to go with Bruce's friend Richard? It's not a pity invite, you know."

That had been an interesting conversation. Harley and Bruce had just sat on the sofa in his study when the door suddenly swung open, and Dick entered like a flustered, jumpy bird. He began pacing, and Bruce dryly asked, "Can I help you?"

Richard stopped pacing and looked at the occupants in the room. "Oh, I didn't expect you to have company," he announced.

Bruce shook his head at the assumption. "Richard, meet Harleen. Harleen, meet Dick Grayson, my friend, and partner in fighting crime."

The young man did a double take looking at the blonde. Pointing his finger at Harley, Dick exclaimed, "Holy cannoli Batman! That's Harley Quinn. Harley Quinn is on your sofa, sitting beside you."