Chapter 21

There comes a time in every person's life when a grave decision has to be made--- that one undeniable moment that has the power to change the course of life's whole direction. One set of circumstances that alters everything. Fight or flight? Life or death? Get up or stay down? Pizza or mac-n-cheese? For Harley, the choice is clear.

Throughout her life, deep down, Harleen Quinzel has wanted what everyone wants--- that one person who loves and accepts her for who she is, flaws and all, unconditionally. But not just anyone, someone who refuses to leave her to wallow in those flaws and pushes her to be better. Someone who will take care of her and fight not only for Harley (herself) but would do the same for their relationship.

She found that in Bruce Wayne. He's it. Bruce is her person, the man who "gets" her, unlike anyone else. His eyes see into her heart, and somehow, despite all of the quirks and imperfections, he loves her anyway. He fights for her and them every day, more so than the city of Gotham. Now, it's time to reciprocate and do the same for him. It's her time to step up in a big way and fight for Bruce--- to prove that she's worthy of all the faith he has in her. And let him know that he's just as deserving.

It's like Bruce told her once when they were alone, sitting in the library, snuggled close together, "Until meeting you, I wasn't looking for anything. But now I'm looking for everything, especially a future that isn't so lonely."

That was when Harley knew she was sunk. Her heart melted into a big pile of goo. Because when it comes down to it, the blonde is doomed without the man. He's like the very breath inside her. It's hard to breathe when it's gone.

For that reason, it was difficult to watch the man she loved bound to a chair, beaten and bloody. Another thing stood out. She knew those cuffs on his hand were tight. Joker likes it that way. They always are. The only consolation is how the Clown's henchman squealed like a pig after seeing Nygma's cane again, up close and personal. That led the unlikely allies to a secluded warehouse by the docks.

The quartet stopped several warehouses away and gained position on the rooftops. That's where they removed several guards. This removal gave them a clear view inside Joker's building, which was how Dick spotted Bruce.

The moment Harley saw the Billionaire, she began saying a prayer over and over and over... Please let him be okay. Please let him be okay. Please let him be okay. She'd waited her whole life for this guy and would give her life a thousand times over to have him back. A thousand times! Even a billion if needed! This man has become the answer to prayers the blonde didn't even know she had whispered but kept safely tucked away inside.

Harley turned to Dick and Riddler, "So what's the plan? Because personally, I want to bust through the glass and get Bruce."

Nightwing smiled and chuckled while Nygma chided the girl. "Don't be rash. Now's not the time for stupid moves. We've got to play it cool."

Those words began the first part of Nygma's agenda. He waltzed over to the electrical switch box and shut it off. The whole warehouse turned pitch black in seconds. Confusion rang out through the night, as did feet running to the roof, where they were met with swift punishment.

Riddler then traipsed down the side stairs and into the building without a care in the world. He looked like he could own it; he just might. Nygma bought several dockside properties before he was locked up in Arkham, including the one where his special surprise awaits.

Regardless, the man was much too calm, but Harley knew what he was doing, distracting Joker so she and Dick could rescue Bruce. At just the right time, Dick turned on the lights, and Nygma's voice called out with one of his riddles. "I question what lies above, and I'm shared with those you love. Your hands will shake at my sound and I'm often heard soon after you wake. I'm a card not found in a deck. What am I?"