Chapter 23

Every day is a blessing, but it can be snatched away in the blink of an eye. Life is too short for superficial, feeble attachments and meaningless words. Which is why, people should take advantage of every opportunity to live with abundant love and sincerity. Harley wholeheartedly believes this. Her life is a testimony to it.

Being the Joker's girl gave her a certain immunity, but it was lonely and full of fakeness. It wasn't real and was based on lies, crazy lies, and lots of manipulation. When the blinders came off, everything changed. It's incredible how much space one truth can form between two people. Sometimes, that separation is needed to gain an honest perspective.

But love, real love, never fails. And when you have it, you hold it with both hands, not letting go. You'll know when love is good because the other person will cherish you; they're the right person. It's that simple. The truth is sometimes people have to experience things that terrify them, like crazy clowns who exploit emotions and make you believe things that aren't true. Because if people never experience the bad, how will they ever come to appreciate the safety and security of everything lovely?

For some people, safety and security come quickly. They just grasp onto it and hold on for the ride. But for others, it's not so effortless. Instead, safety and security are a challenge, like riding a bull that bucks and bucks and bucks. It's hard to grip because it's a hurtful, wild thing. So walls are built to protect from the very thing that's wanted. Harley has been there, done that, and lived to tell the tale.

After Harley and Bruce returned home, once the Dark Knight reprimanded Cassandra for the young girl's involvement, there was time to think when the hubbub of everything had quieted like the silence of an empty classroom once everyone departed. And all of these things came to the blonde's mind: safety, truth, love. It marinated in the blonde's mind.

The couple were sharing the oversized, comfy chair in the library. One of Bruce's hands slowly traces up and down from her waist to her arm, making her squirm. The feel of his hands against her skin and his warmth is something the blonde never wants to become a memory. It had almost come true. That's why she said, "Thank you."

Bruce laid his book in his lap, wondering, "What for?"

Truly, he had no clue because if anyone should be doing the thanking, it should be him. His girl saved him tonight. The scruffy brunette waited for Harley's response, which didn't disappoint. "Thank you for being the most comforting part of my life. You're always a beacon to the people of Gotham, but thank you for always being the one I need whenever I feel lost or uncertain. Whether you mean to shine on me or not. I am grateful for you. I've missed you and was going crazy when I realized you'd gotten captured."

Bruce hasn't said anything yet, but he hopes his actions have spoken what his words cannot say... a million thank yous. He tugged her closer to his side and was going to emit some words of some kind of truth, but she cut him off. "I've learned a lot this past year. The majority involves you, but there were other things, too--- things that didn't make sense until recently. I've learned a lot about family, like it's not blood alone that completes its makeup. Sometimes, it's the people we choose or don't choose who come into our lives at the perfect time and connect with us. It's growing, loving, and knowing that these people would do anything for you because you have that deep trust available. You know?"

Her words hit home. Bruce lost his true family, his parents, long ago, but he assembled one of a different kind with Alfred, Dick, Cassandra, and now Harely. He gave a "mmhmm" in response.

Harley took his hand and laced their fingers. She continued, "Life is too short to be anything other than real, especially with those you love the most. It's spending time together, listening to the good and bad parts, encouraging each other not to give up --- keep going. And it's times like this."