chapter 6

━━・❪ 🌸 ❫ ・━━

At first, Daphne wasn't quite sure what to do other than grip onto the edge of the chariot for dear life out of fear that she'd go tumbling off onto the road and get trampled by District Eleven behind them. Now that would be one way to make a name for herself.

Daphne had watched the opening ceremony in previous years; they all had. She remembered how tributes would wave, smile, and blow kisses to win over the crowd's favor and draw in potential sponsors. That was what Theron was currently doing, his inner flair really coming out with that contagious smile as he whooped and handed out kisses that people reached for as if they were gold.

Even Azalea was grinning and waving in a royal-like fashion. Funny how she was pretending to be regal and respectable when behind the locked doors of her history with Daphne said quite differently. But if Azalea could attempt to be pleasant, so could Daphne.

A rose smacked Daphne in the back of the head, its thorns getting tangled in her hair. She pulled it out, plastered a ridiculously delighted grin to her face and hugged the flower to her chest, burying her nose in its blood-red petals.

Another rose came flying, then another, then another. Daphne only managed to catch one more, a white one stripped of thorns.

An idea popped into her mind, one harmless yet daring enough that her heart rate began to pick back up. She debated it with herself for quite a bit as she blew some of her own kisses and cheered with the crowd. But the chariot ride would be coming to an end soon, since the Presidential Palace was now in sight, so if she were to act she better act fast.

Sucking in a breath, heart hammering like the infatuated schoolgirl she was, Daphne offered the white rose to Caelum. His eyebrows went up as he stared at her outstretched hand, then lifted his gaze to hers. The light flickered out from his eyes.

A terrifying thought flashed through Daphne's mind. What if he refused, and thus humiliated her in front of the entirety of Panem?

She gave Caelum what she hoped seemed like an unarmed, sincere smile. To her relief and inner glee, he returned it, revealing small dimples on either side of his lips. His fingers, soft and warm, brushed hers gently as he took the white rose and made a show of treasuring it with that stupidly handsome grin of his.

Something was off, however. There was a certain tenseness in his features that showed through now, subtly giving away the fact to anyone who paid attention and knew him well enough that this was all for show.

The chariots gathered around the vast courtyard of the Presidential Palace, and the current president Chrysanth Frose stood atop the balcony. Her skin was a pasty white hue that contrasted her hair, a shade of black so dark it was nearly purple. Those unnatural locks were curled beneath a dramatic headdress adorned with jewels and feathers unlike anything Daphne had ever seen. Frose's booming voice was projected from hidden speakers, ensuring that everyone heard her loud and clear as she gave a speech honoring the tributes' bravery and patriotism. As if most of them had had a choice.

Throughout the damned speech, Daphne was still buzzing with carefully contained giddiness. Part of her wanted to climb onto that balcony and scream for all of Panem to hear, "I GAVE A ROSE TO CAELUM CAFLISCH AND HE SMILED AT ME!"

The other part of her hated herself for acting like such a lovestruck fool in spite of everything. There were much more pressing matters at hand, such as how to face her incoming death, than if a stupid boy noticed her or not. Especially when it seemed that her gesture had somehow disturbed him, no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

It was just for show, Daphne tried to convince herself. If they weren't on live television, trying to appear favorable to save their sorry lives, Caelum would've just walked away without so much as a cocked eyebrow.