Chapter 9

Sitting at his sofa while he waited for Denki was hell. The paperwork had taken him a good amount of time, so Denki should be back in a few hours. Although a part of him wanted to see him another part of him was afraid.

He couldn't help it.

He knows this is his opportunity to fix what he did, but what if it just wasn't meant to be?

What if he just makes everything worse?

Denki might just leave him and decide to never talk to him again.

He knows it's unrealistic, but when has he ever been so lucky?

He laid down and played music on the TV, it was slow and calming. He stayed like that for a bit before he began drowsing off, until he fell asleep.

He woke up by the sound of the front door opening, and was shocked to find out that not only had he fallen asleep, but he did so for a fairly good amount of time. The music could still be heard in the background

"Toshi..?"

Denki walked in and saw Hitoshi, surprised washed over his face

"Oh! Sorry, did I wake you up?"

Denki seemed a bit nervous, and clearly felt guilty, or at least that is what Hitoshi could judge from expression.

Hitoshi sat up, rubbed his eyes, and cleared his throat.

"No, don't worry about it. I was just resting for a bit. Umm… How was the patrol?"

Denki relaxed a little at Hitoshi's words and left his things by the coffee table.

"It was alright. Katsuki was the one to call reinforcements. There was an attack, 3 villains and hostages."

Denki sighed tiredly at the memories of the previous event.

"I see… did everything turn out alright?"

"Oh! Yeah! Everything was fine! We dealt with it!"

Denki beamed and gave Hitoshi finger guns. Although Hitoshi could tell that it had taken a toll on Denki from how tired he looked. After a few seconds, something seemed to catch Denki's attention.

"I know this song! I haven't heard it in such a looong time!"

Denki turned towards the TV, thoughtful. After a few seconds, he nodded, as if he had just determined something and turned back to Hitoshi.

Denki extended his arm, offering his hand to Hitoshi

"You still owe me a dance, remember?"

Hitoshi was startled, he hesitated for a second before a memory flashed through his mind. He was a bit shocked that Denki remembered, but he sighed and then took Denki's hand.
.
.
.

"What do you mean you aren't going to the dance!?"

Hitoshi didn't even spare Denki a glance, as he continued doing his homework.

"Come on! You have to go! We rarely get things like this! Last year we didn't get anything because of the villain attacks, so we are only getting two dances! You can't miss it!"

Denki whined and tried to take Hitoshi's notebook away, failing miserably but was still able to get him to pay attention to him.

"Denki, I am too behind to be worrying about a school dance. You said it yourself, we still have one more, so it isn't that big of a deal."

Denki huffed, annoyed

"You are going to look back in ten years and regret it!"

Hitoshi rolled his eyes and went back to his homework

"I highly doubt it."

Denki pouted, defeated and seated.

"Okay... But you owe me a dance."

Hitoshi looked at Denki questioningly.

"A dance? Why?"

"Cause we were going to go together, duh," Denki rolled his eyes as if it was obvious. "But since you aren't going you owe it to me!"

Hitoshi sighed trying to sound annoyed, but the small smile on his face betrayed him.

"Whatever, we can dance next year."

Denki's eyes lit up in excitement.

"You better! If you don't, I'll make sure to cash your debt at some point!"

...but Hitoshi never did. Denki went with Jirou during their third year, since they started dating. Hitoshi and Denki had stopped talking by then.
.
.
.

The song continued playing in the background, so Hitoshi placed his arm around Denki's waist and pulled Denki towards him. Denki was surprised, but recovered quickly and placed his arms around his neck.

Denki smiled warmly at Hitoshi, which he mirrored with sincerity. They both moved slowly to the rhythm of the song at first. To Hitoshi, Denki's golden eyes appeared as if they were shining. He couldn't help but think about how beautiful he looked.

They danced in silence and when the song reached its climax Hitoshi twirled Denki a few times and pulled him back to him. Denki giggled as Hitoshi twirled him, not expecting the other to do so.

Their movements were clumsy and uncoordinated, but that didn't matter. They both laughed and smiled while foolishly attempting to dance. They threw a spin here and there while trying not to step on each other.

Once the song stopped, they didn't move and continued to look at each other. Their breathing was slightly uneven from the previous activity. After a few minutes of simple staring, Denki smirked

"Am I so pretty that you can't stop staring, Toshi?"

Hitoshi didn't answer and went from looking at Denki's eyes to his lips. Both of their faces getting closer and closer, not quite touching, but close enough.

"Yes, you look stunning"

Denki blushed and looked away shyly at Hitoshi's bold statement and blunt stare, not expecting him to be so honest, but made no attempts to move.
Their faces close to each other, and their lips almost touching.
Realization hit Hitoshi, who suddenly stepped back, trying to put distance between him and Denki, and turning his face away. Previous doubts clouding his mind.

His mouth moving before he could properly think of his words.

"When are you leaving?"

Denki stepped back as well, and let go of Hitoshi, clearly taken aback by Hitoshi's rude and blunt question.
Denki scoffed in amusement and answered coldly

"Sorry I... I didn't mean to overstay my welcome. Don't worry I'll leave by tomorrow."

With that, Denki left.