10 | Happy Birthday Dear Ponyboy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PONYBOY!!
This oneshot is a day late, but his birthday was on July 22nd. He is 72 years old today 😓 Happy birthday grandpa..

CLARIFICATION: In the first paragraph of this chapter, it is talked about how each member of the gang are all paying attention to who their person is. Johnny talks about how Ponyboy is his, but he also talks about how Sodapop is Darry's person. No, this is not meant to be a ship. I would never ship this. The same goes for Sodapop and Steve -- in this oneshot, Sodapop sees Steve as his best buddy -- nothing more, sorry Stevepop nation.

Ponyboy and Johnny have their own place in this oneshot.

____

Words: 1876
Genre: Angst, Fluff, Aged up characters , modern time
Idea Credits: allysoncrump
____

Johnny Cade

____

"Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday dear Ponyboy,

Happy birthday to you!"

Two-Bit, Dally, Steve, Ponyboy's two big brothers, and I sing to Ponyboy in harmony. The lights are turned off, but through the candle lights, each one of our faces are carved out by the light. Ponyboy's is the brightest, but I think I think that because Ponyboy is the brightest light in my life. I'm sure for Sodapop it's Steve's whose the brightest, and for Darry it's Sodapop. We're all paying too much attention to our person in the room. Through my eyes glaze, I focus more on Ponyboy's features. the sad, tight frown on his face makes me wonder what's going on in that pretty head of his. I feel my lips start to curl into a frown too. It's a chain reaction, and now I can feel my heart thumping harder and louder than before. Ponyboy blows out his candles, and that sad face of his has turned into nothing, the only thing I can see now is the shine of Dally's ring and the glare of Two-Bit's bottle of beer. The room breaks out into cheers, and the lights flick back on. My eyes hurt and whine at the sudden change in light, but when my eyes fade back to normality, I see that Soda has his arm around Ponyboy's shoulder. In the other hand, Sodapop is holding a beer bottle. This takes me aback, because never does Sodapop drink. Sodapop gets high or drunk simply off living, and I think Two-Bit gets jealous of this. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Two-Bit was the one who gave him the beer. Two-Bit's always hauling along cases of beers. He knows it's going to kill him one day, too, he just doesn't care.
I remember back when Two-Bit was still in school, he would get sent home all the time for being too drunk in class. Even having one sip of a beer is too much in school, but for Two, that's only getting started -- that's a walk in the park for Two-Bit Mathews.

Pony's got a smile on his face, and I can't tell if it's true or not, but my brain takes a photo of this moment because Ponyboy is just so beautiful no matter what he does.
For Ponyboy's birthday, Dally got the kid the expensive pack of cigarettes, the gold ones, and that he also said that everyone chipped in a buck or two. Ponyboy was stoked, but he wasn't as stoked as he was about the other presents he got. Majority of the gang lives in a state of Poverty, Ponyboy and I are the only two who are pretty fine off. Dally's alright, too, I suppose. But he still barely gets by with his smoking fund. From the rest of the gang, Ponyboy receives small things like fluffy blankets, chocolate, books, all of his favorite things. But what Darry give's Ponyboy takes the crown, and that is their fathers flannel jacket. It's rather beaten, but Ponyboy cries at the sight of it. He says it was his dads favorite. He hadn't seen it in years. Even I tear up a bit looking at Ponyboy's happiness.