Chapter 20: Decisions

Chapter 20:

"Bye Debra and thank you for the brownies," I said smiling and holding the tray of warm chocolate brownies in one hand, while the other waved goodbye.

"Bye dear, tell your mom I say hello." She replied grinning generously, waving at me as I walked towards the gate.

I turned my head towards where she stood. I nodded and smiled again before making my way back home. Mom had message me. It was already 12pm and I needed to get ready.

I half-jogged home, knicking a few brownies from the glass tray in my hand. Don't judge, they were delicious. I knocked on the front door, expecting my mom to open up, but it was Ryan. Cue the awkwardness.

"Uh, thanks." I passed him and headed to my room upstairs.

"Hey Danielle?" Ryan called after me.

I turned around and looked at him questionably.

"Do you want to hang out tonight?" Ryan asked hesitantly.

I didn't know what I should do so I decided to be nice and say "Sure."

"OK thats, thats good. We can go out for coffee or you know, cake."

He nodded and smiled.

I smiled shortly before turning my head and continued to walk to my bedroom. I took of my coat and peeled of my shirt and shorts off. I quickly changed into normal jeans and a blue polo. I tied my hair into a top-knot and put some concealer on. I looked like a drunk panda, my orbs were tired and dark around. I applied chap stick on before jumping down stairs.

My phone buzzed in my hand. I unlocked the screen to check the text I received.

Mom: Simon just called to tell me that him and Timmy are all right and that they are staying at a motel till the weather settles a little more. Ill be coming to pick you up soon. Make sure your ready. oxo

I replied to her text before telling Ryan about the good news. He smiled his signature lopsided grin and nodded. Aunt Rilee was still asleep at the time.

I offered Ryan a brownie before the honking of mom's van erupted through the front. I said goodbye before going outside to mom, closing the door behind myself.

"Hey mom." I greeted, strapping my seatbelt on with a click.

She greeted me back before turning the ignition on and driving out of the carpark driveway.

We arrived at the school in a flash. I was dreading this interview with my heart. I felt sick with nervousness. That tends to happen a lot. I squeezed my eyes tightly together, praying that they would rip up. I opened my eyes, disappointed, and looked at mom's gentle face. It was written with that 'don't worry' look. That loosened me up a bit. A lump was growing in my throat rapidly. Why was I so nervous? Cold sweat soaked up in the palms of my hands. I opened the car door. The whiff of fresh air and spring flora inviting me.

Mom and I continued to walk to the front office.

"I have an interview with the principal?" Mom notified the receptionist, who nodded and pushed her glasses up to her eyes once more. It didn't take long till they slid right down.

"The principal isn't here she left about an hour ago, but the assistant principal is here and she's not busy. Would you like to see her instead?"

I sighed in relief, Mrs.Robins was much kinder than the head principal, Ms.Winfrey. She was a sweet lady, she had frizzy orange locks that came around her shoulders and big green eyes. She always wore red lipstick that resembled blood. She looked like one of them 70's rock singers I see on TV.