Centered - Chapter 20

Sunoo’s heart raced as they approached the cabin. His feet dragged along the dirt path unwillingly yet powerless against the gentle but firm grip older's had on him.

Heeseung had clung to him the entire walk down the forest, forcing Sunoo into his embrace until he felt some semblance of comfort. Heeseung’s soft murmurs, the way his hands stroked Sunoo’s back in long, lazy circles, almost soothed him.

Almost. It was disarming—how Heeseung could switch from that twisted figure, leaving blood stains and terror in his wake to this gentle man whispering words of reassurance.

The sight of the cabin sent a jolt through his system, his legs resisting each step. His eyes flickered nervously at the scene outside the forest, his breath hitching when he saw multiple sleek, black cars parked beside the cabin.

Men dressed head to toe in black, stood around, their gazes sharp but deferential and they bowed deeply as Heeseung walked past them. They were a silent intimidating presence making Sunoo’s stomach churn.

“Who are these men?” Sunoo’s voice cracked, betraying his fear. His throat felt tight and he swallowed hard as he felt his lips dried in fear. His face had grown pale, the blood draining from his features as the reality of the situation hit him like a tidal wave.

“They work for me.” Heeseung replied calmly when his eyes locked onto smaller's. There was no hesitation, no elaboration—just a cold, simple truth.

Sunoo blinked, confusion layering his already tense expression. “Work for you?”

Heeseung didn’t offer any further explanation, his gaze just lingered on Sunoo for a moment longer before he continued into the cabin.

Sunoo followed his steps hesitantly, his body tightening with anxiety. As they entered the room, his eyes swept over the space that had once been a chamber of horror.

It was eerily clean now, no sign of the bloodstains, the sharp tools, the ropes, or that chair—everything had vanished like a fleeting nightmare, like it had all been a product of his mind playing tricks. But it wasn’t. He knew it wasn’t. He couldn’t unsee the blood, the terror, the suffocating darkness that had engulfed him before.

Yet, one thing remained—a covered board, still hanging on the wall. His pictures. A sickening reminder that Heeseung had been watching him for God knows how long.

Heeseung seeming unbothered, stepped out of the room to instruct the men to leave. They obeyed without a word, filing out with practiced precision. The door clicked shut and Sunoo’s heart skipped a beat when Heeseung turned to lock it from the inside.

Panic swelled in his chest, his breath coming faster as Heeseung advanced toward him. Instinctively he stepped back until his body met the cold, hard surface of the wall. He clenched his fists tightly, trying to maintain his composure, his facade of bravery barely holding up.

The room felt smaller, the walls closing in as older's presence filled every corner.

Heeseung stopped a few steps away and for a moment, they just stared at each other, the silence was getting thick, oppressive. Sunoo’s skin prickled under Heeseung’s gaze which slowly traveled over him, from the top of his head to the tips of his shoes.

Heeseung’s eyes were dark, filled with an intensity that made Sunoo feel utterly exposed as if every defense he’d put up was being stripped away. He knew Heeseung could see through his act. He knew Heeseung saw his fear.

And Heeseung liked it.

“I’m sorry.” Heeseung said out of nowhere, his voice soft but there was a weight to it that hung heavy in the air. Why would he say that? Does he even feel sorry?