Chapter 1

This is my first try with a girlxgirl type of thing. I'll try my best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Riley Minister, stop sulking and help! Idle hands are the devil's playground!" my mother yelled across the front lawn.

I sighed and stood up. I left the nice, cool shade of the tree that I was sitting, not sulking, under. I walked over to my mom who was taking boxes out of the back of the moving truck. "Yes, mom?" I asked.

She pointed to a few of the boxes on the sidewalk. "Take those upstairs to your room. The movers already brought up your bookshelf, desk, dresser, and bed."

I picked up the boxes, there were only three, and carried them into the house. It was just as hot inside as it was outside. Why my mom didn't turn on the air conditioning was beyond me. Why she decided to pack up and move from Oregon to Nowherechristianville, South Carolina was also beyond me. Oh, no, wait, she claimed it was for the best. A change of scenery. Yeah, right.

I set the boxes down on my unmade bed. I took a moment to look in the mirror that was situated above my dresser. I moved my brunette hair out of my eyes. My bangs, which were cut to the side, had a habit of getting in my way. My eyes were a dark brown, almost black. I noticed my hair frizzing up as well. Stupid humidity, I thought annoyingly. I was trying to pat it down when I heard my 13 year old sister come flying up the stairs. She poked my head into my room. "Riley, you should unpack and stop doing nothing, remember what mom says. Idle hands are.."

"The devil's playground. Yes, I know. I was fixing my hair," I replied. That phrase was getting on my nerves. "Let me unpack in peace."

She left my room without a reply. I guess she figured arguing would contribute to the devil's playground. I opened the first box which contained my books, Bible, and flute. I placed the books in the bookshelf, my flute in the closet, and my Bible on the dresser. My mother was very much into God and stuff. That was the real reason we moved. My dad divorced her so she decided that our entire town was engulfed in sin and that we should leave. I tried to reason with her. Apparently "But mom, I have two months left until graduation" was not an acceptable reason to stay.

I unpacked the second box, which mostly contained clothes and bed sheets. I put my clothes into the dresser and removed the third box from my bed so I could make it. I put the sheets on my bed. They were plain, solid green sheets. I didn't even bother to look for the comforter. It was too hot.

I unpacked the third and last box. It contained more clothes and my laptop. I put my clothes away and my laptop on my desk. I walked out of my room and into the hall. "Mom! I unpacked my boxes!" I shouted down the stairs.

"Come downstairs!" she shouted up as a reply.

I walked down and into the kitchen. I saw my mom had hung a cross above the front door, which was open but the glass inner door was closed, and another in the kitchen. "I see you didn't waste time with the crosses," I said walking into the room.

"We must show our love for God," she said while putting dishes into the cabinets. She turned to face me. "Can you hand me that stack?"

"Yeah, sure," I said and handed her another stack of dishes. There was a knock on the glass door. "Can you get that?" she asked.

I nodded and walked towards the door. There was a women standing outside holding a pie. I opened the door for her. "Hi," she said. "I'm Patty Wincock, I live two houses down. I see you're still moving in. I baked a pie for you guys."

"I'm Riley. We're almost done, just a few more boxes actually. Thanks for the pie. My mother is in the kitchen. It's this way," I said, leading her into the kitchen.

My mom had put the last of the dishes away and saw us enter the kitchen. She smiled, "Hello. I'm Rebecca Minister. We just moved here. It's nice to meet you."

Patty returned a smile and offered the pie. "Hello. I'm Patty Wincock. I live two houses down. It's nice to meet you as well. I baked a pie."

My mom took the pie with a warm smile and thanked Patty. "Is Riley attending Gates High School?" Patty asked.

"Yes. Her sister, Leah, will be in Gates Middle School. I wanted to send them to Saint Mary's, but it's too far away and too expensive."

"Saint Mary's is very expensive," Patty agreed. "My daughter is in Gates High School. Her name is Melinda. She's a senior."

"Riley's a senior as well. She's also very good with the flute. We're trying for Julliard."

"Very nice," Patty said. She looked up at the clock above the sink. "Oh, I must get going. I have to go pick up my other daughter, Heather, from a friend's house. It was nice to meet you."

"It was nice to meet you too," my mother said and she walked Patty to the door. Once Patty left, my mom came back into the kitchen. "She seemed nice. Would you like some pie?"

"Yeah and no thanks to the pie," I replied. I glanced at the clock. It was about four in the afternoon. "I'm going to go for a walk. See what's around."

My mom thought for a moment. "Okay, but be careful. There are some crazy people out and seventeen is an impressionable age."

"I'll do my best to not get lost in sin," I replied walking towards the door.

"I'm serious Riley."

"I know."

"Be home before eight. You start at your new school tomorrow."

"Yes mom."

I walked out into warm April air. It's normally colder in Oregon in the beginning of April so the warmth of South Carolina was weird. Our new house wasn't far away from the actual town. Within a walking distance, which was good, considering I was walking.

The first thing I passed in the town of Gates was a church. First Presbyterian Church to be exact. The second thing I passed was another church. This one was First National Baptist Church. The third thing I passed was, you guessed it, another church. The name of this church didn't have some orderal form in it. This one was Saint Catherine of Alexandria's Catholic Church. I was presuming this would be our church.

After the plethora of churches, I finally began to pass normal things. I passed a McDonald's and a drug store. I ended up passing Gates High School, which looked more like a prison than a high school. The last place I ended up before resting was a park. I sat down on a bench and looked around. There were a couple of little kids being pushed on the swings by their parents and a girl running around the track. She stopped after a few minutes and walked in my direction. She plopped down on the bench next to me. I don't think she noticed that I was there. "Um, hi?" I said kinda nervously.

She looked up at me. "Oh, hi!" she said. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you sitting here. I'm tired from training. I'm Sarah Alexander."

"Riley Minister. I'm new here."

"I can tell. I've never seen you around."

"Small town?"

"Very."

I sighed. "Great."

She laughed, "It isn't that bad, unless your secrets get out of course. Are you going to be at Gates High?"

"Yeah, my mom wanted Saint Mary's, but decided against it. Too far, too expensive."

"Yeah, Saint Mary's is like that," she agreed. She checked her phone. "I gotta get home. I'll see you tomorrow maybe."

I stood up. "I should get going too. I'll see you tomorrow."

I got back home just as my mom finished unpacking the last box. "Hi Riley," she said as I walked through the door.

"Hi mom," I said tiredly. I was kinda tired even though it was eight.

"How was your walk?"

"It was good. I'm kinda tired. I'm gonna go to sleep."

"It's only eight," she replied worriedly. "You feeling okay?"

"Yes mom."

"Well, I guess you need your rest for school. Good night. I love you."

"Love you too. Night."