7. I Know My Feelings

(poolside) - 5:43 pm - Boracay, Philippines

Sam's POV:

I pulled out my music speaker from my bag, and Richard, Nam, Yuki, and I started taking turns each putting a song to listen to. Of course, Nam had the wildest song choices, making us all laugh and dance around in a craze. But there's someone missing. Mon. 

I noticed her walking away toward the beach around 45 minutes ago, I thought she would be back by now, so I started getting worried. I had to check on her. 

"Nam, I'm gonna go see Mon," I whispered in her ear as I didn't want to alarm anyone.

Nam nodded and so I took my leave.

I walked along the shoreline for around 5 minutes and finally spotted her. She was sitting on the sand staring straight ahead like she was deep in thought, like something was bothering her. 

"Hey," I spoke up as I approached her and sat down beside her on the warm sand.

"Hey Sam," she replied with a smile, and my heart followed with a strong beat. Mon looked mesmerizingly gorgeous, with the sunset colors shining on her face enhancing the color of her eyes. Her deep, chocolatey, brown-colored eyes stared at me like she was communicating with my soul, and I couldn't help but stare back.

"So why the sour face missus businesswoman?" I chuckled at her in an attempt to lighten the mood since the tension was becoming overwhelming.

"What? What sour face hahaha?" She tried to deviate from the question.

"Tell me what's bothering you Mon, I know you, I still remember your antics..."

"Mhmmm," was all she replied as she went back to staring at the beach in front of us.

"You remember? Us? How close we used to be?" Mon asked slowly as she avoided my eyes and looked straight ahead.

"I never forgot," I answered honestly.

We sat in silence for the next two or three minutes.

My heart was beating so hard. What is happening right now?

"Sam... I don't know what's going on with me, and I don't want to confuse you with me as well..." she finally started explaining after the intense silence.

I raised my eyebrows expecting her to continue the sentence, but she just went back to silence.

"What's confusing you?" I spoke up.

"Hey! Guys!" A loud voice interrupted from a distance. We both turned our heads in the same direction. It's Yuki. She was standing at the entrance of the beach around 20 meters away. 

"We're starving, Nam and Rich want to have dinner already so come on let's go shower and change," she continued.

Mon and I gave her a thumbs-up to let her know we heard her. Mon turned her head towards me once more, and our noses touched by accident. We both froze and locked gazes on each other for a few seconds that felt like minutes. I studied her face up close, looked into her eyes, nose, cheeks, eyebrows,... and then her lips. 

The air around us felt heavy, filled with tension and a million question marks.

Mon pulled away a little bit to create some space between us.

"So, why are you confused?" I repeated my question.

"I... I don't know, we should catch up with them, they're waiting for us" she quickly said as she jumped on her feet and started walking towards the pool again.