17. Drama

(hotel's swimming pool) - 2:43 pm - Boracay, Philippinnes

Sam's POV:

After Mon left for work, I replied to some emails on my computer and then headed back to my hotel room to wake Nam so we could have breakfast together. I filled her in on the slightly dramatic morning I had with Mon and Kayla. I understand how Mon may be skeptical about Kayla... being that we dated in the past. But I don't believe Kayla still has feelings for me. I mean... she's the one that left in the first place. Yes, she had a job offer from Japan but she also had other offers in Canada that she could've accepted. She chose to leave without hesitation, it seemed that she didn't care much about our relationship anyway. 

I didn't blame her though. In our two months of dating, I couldn't bring myself to get closer to her. On one hand, I had boundaries and just didn't see a future with Kayla. I was never emotionally available enough for her. We didn't have the same love languages. We just... weren't in sync. Kayla and I's relationship was never deep.
On the other hand, Mon was always on my mind. I truly believe Mon was/is my first love, even if I never admitted it aloud. Ever since I met Mon in high school, I had fallen for her. Even during college when I dated my boyfriend, Mon was still on my mind. I just tried to convince myself that I was happy with my then-boyfriend. I didn't think that I would ever be meeting Mon again since we were on opposite sides of the earth, yet here we are. I am just hoping and praying that all those years that Mon had spent in my mind, were for a reason. I hope we can fit together like puzzle parts. I hope we can overcome all of the barriers and truly fall in love. I hope I can be courageous enough for her, compassionate and loving enough, and everything she has ever wished for.
We only reunited a week ago but I'm optimistic for what's to come. 

It may seem suspicious that this morning Kayla got me a white rose and my favorite coffee, but that's just Kayla. She's clingy and overly lovely with everyone, she could be anyone's girlfriend. So I just don't think she likes me romantically or has any feelings towards me anymore.

Anyway, back to the present...
Nam and I decided to lay by the pool sunbathing until lunchtime. I was hoping Mon could have some free time for lunch to join us, but she still hasn't replied to my text. She must be extremely overbooked.
As I brought a book along with me for poolside entertainment, Nam was busy chitchatting on a video call with Kovit, her boss/crush/romantic interest in the talking phase. I tried to focus on my book, but with Nam and Kovit flirting beside me, I was just trying to stop myself from gagging right now. But then, a familiar voice interrupted,

"Oh my god, that book has been on my wishlist for ages!"

Kayla.

"Oh, hey Kayla,"

"Hi Sam! You look beautiful sunkissed," she said as she leaned closer and pinched my warm, red, sunkissed cheeks. She silently waved at Nam who was too occupied to leave her boycrush's phone call right now.

"This. book. It's legendary!! Everyone in my department has read it. Apparently, it's 'business book of the year' I have had it on my wishlist and I'm trying to buy it but it's out of stock everywhere!" Kayla exclaimed as she took the book 'Lords of Finance' by Liaquat Ahamed out of my hands and started examining the book's cover and back.

"Yeah... It's a great book. I'm actually almost done with it,"

"Sam. Can I please ask for a favor?" she asked, but before I could even say anything, she continued, "Can I please please just borrow this book for a few hours and I'll return it to you by the end of the day, pretty please?"

I'm confused. I just told her I wasn't done with reading it yet, but I mean what would she do with it for a few hours anyway? She can't finish reading all these pages in a few hours, no way.