Chapter 3: The Prodigal Son Returns

Book 3: Harmony
Chapter 3: The Prodigal Son Returns

Akira

The sound of the tide lapping against the rocky shore caused Akira to stir. She sat up and looked around at her surroundings, realizing they had washed ashore on the island.

"Gyatso? Mako, Bolin?" She called out.

No answer.

"Gyatso!" She yelled.

"Akira." He replied, faintly.

She whirled around to find him pinned to the ground underneath Taima, fifty feet away.

She ran to his side. "Don't worry, I'll get you out of there! Taima, wake up buddy!"

"He's hurt, Akira. He's bleeding from his belly." Gyatso informed her.

She took a closer look and saw the sand was stained red from a puddle of blood. She began thinking of ways to free Gyatso and help Taima. An idea formed.

"Gyatso, hold your breath." She told him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

Akira bent a large amount of water from the ocean and washed it over the bison. He was carried sideways, freeing Gyatso and rolling onto his side. Akira caught a glimpse of a large puncture wound on his lower belly, like he had hit one of the rocks along the shoreline.

"Taima!" Gyatso ran to him.

Akira raised some water onto the wound and attempted to heal it. She didn't exactly know what she was doing, but the bleeding stopped. "He'll be okay, but he needs rest."

Gyatso was relieved. "Thank you."

"Any sign of Mako and Bolin?" Akira wondered.

The Airbender's eyes widened. "No, I completely forgot about them."

"Maybe you could spot them if you fly around?" Akira suggested.

"If I had my glider. Taima's saddle was lost in the crash." Gyatso noted.

Akira looked around at the shore. It was littered with all kinds of debris from the ocean, including a few shipwrecks, but she didn't see any of their belongings. What she did see was the giant circular waterfall surrounding the island.

"What in the...?" She wondered.

"Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm sensing an overload of spiritual energy in this place. Must be some kind of gravitational oddity."

"Well that doesn't hardly explain anything, but I'll take it."

Gyatso pointed to a large iron ship with a curved bow. "That looks like a Fire Navy cruiser from the Hundred Year War."

"Yeah, I think it is." Akira replied. As she took a closer look at the ship, she noticed flashes of orange light coming from inside the cracked hull, like someone was Firebending.

"Mako!" She realized.

"Where?" Gyatso asked.

"In the ship. Let's go!"

She carried them across the surface of the water and lifted them up to the deck of the ship. They ran to the bridge and went below deck, where they found Mako and Bolin battling spirits. Bolin had no earth to use, so he was swatting at the giant moth spirits with an old Fire Nation polearm. Mako was wielding Jiansu's staff, which they had brought with them in the saddle. He used the Airbender weapon to slash arcs of fire at the spirits.

"Gyatso, let's put a cap on that bottle." Akira said.

The Airbender rushed forward and thrust out both hands as if he was holding a ball. A sphere of air encapsulated the spirits and trapped them.