16

Jennie is not sure of the reality of what is happening.

Her body seems to turn to stone, and her tongue sticks to the parched palate from excitement, and while the numb numbness in the room drags on, she prays only that it was just a bad dream. She had had enough nightmares lately, but none of them could compare to what was happening at the moment. Nothing was even remotely similar to the way Mark looked at her—with outright horror in his eyes, with pursed lips and raised eyebrows, that you could not immediately understand his emotions. Either he's angry, or upset, or he doesn't understand what's going on at all.

And somewhere nearby, purely intuitively, Jisoo is clinging to her, pulling the sheets up to her chest and trembling as if her own mother caught her. And only Jennie — the only one present — perfectly understands the horror of these two. She is the only one who knows who they are to each other, and something unimaginably disgusting suddenly rolls up to her throat, and her whole body is enveloped in such shame and self-loathing that it would be easier for Jennie to think that this is a dream.

-Mom.- Mark says again, and this time his voice is hoarse, betraying excitement.

And he could probably voice the most banal question about what's going on, or ask what Jisoo is doing here, whose cheeks are red to the point of indecency. He could have chosen a bunch of options from what to say and how to behave, but instead he continued to stand at the entrance to the room, feeling his heart almost jump out of his chest.

To be honest, he himself could not understand what overwhelmed him the most at that moment. Having come irritated and angry to talk to his mother, he did not expect at all that he would find such a picture, from which it seems both disgusting and unpleasant, and jealous and exciting at the same time.

-Mark, wait for me in the kitchen.- Finding the strength, Jennie cleared her throat and, swinging her legs off the bed, threw on a light robe.

She understood that it would be stupid to lie or try to justify that Jisoo herself had fallen into her bed, besides, even though the woman was not ready, she felt the need to tell the truth. And as soon as the door to the room closed, and the sound of the guy's footsteps receded, Jisoo took a deep breath through her nose. She was ready to swear that she had never experienced such stress in her life, and now her whole body was shaking violently, and dozens of hearts seemed to be pounding in her chest, creating a frenzied pulsation.

-Your son... is... - Confused in her thoughts, the brunette looked at Jennie as if she saw her for the first time.- Do you know who it is?

Pointing her finger at the closed door, Jisoo wanted to burst into tears. She did not understand at all what she was feeling, but she clearly felt only fear, as if a spider web was enveloping her body. The one she hated, despised, and wanted to stay away from was the son of the woman she loved. And theoretically, if he and Jennie got married, Jisoo would be Mark's stepmother. From this simple thought, you can suffocate with laughter, but the girl only wraps her hands around her knees, feeling that the hysteria is persistently approaching right to the throat, about to break out.

-Hey, listen.- Sitting down on the edge of the bed, Jennie impulsively grabbed the girl's hands, feeling them tremble.- Listen to me, we need to talk, okay? Just wait for me here, don't go anywhere, okay? I have to talk to my son, and then I'll come back to you and we'll discuss everything.

Realizing how difficult it is for Jisoo now, the woman herself barely found the strength to hold on. Catching a barely perceptible nod, she immediately got up and retired to the kitchen, where Mark was waiting for her, sitting on a chair. The guy ran his fingers through his hair and seemed to be thinking hard about something - he always had this habit when he was still in school, and now he reminded Jennie of the same Mark he was a few years ago.