chpt - 8: the creature in marbel

warning: this chapter features a small scene where one of the characters has a panic attack

please read with caution

***

THE MUSIC PLAYED LIGHTLY WHEN RYAN, Noah and Caitlin arrived at the Breeck residence. Amy and her family lived in a huge house — one of the few 'mansions' in Marbel — with a giant pool in the backyard.

Caitlin knocked loudly on the front door and took a step back. She had on a dark-purple sleeveless turtleneck with a (fake) leather dress and a pair of black Converse. She didn't do anything special to her hair.

Ryan had on a pair of black jeans, black sneakers and a navy-blue jacket with his hair combed down.

Noah had on a baby-blue hoodie with a pair of thin striped red-brown and black jeans and a pair of black boots. He didn't know what to do with his hair either, so he also left it alone.

Amy opened the door and silently shrieked when she saw them. All she wore was a pair of ripped jeans, sandals and a fuzzy jersey over a long sleeved T-shirt. Her hair was curled down her back and over her shoulders, making her face light up.

"Come in, come in, come in!" she beckoned happily.

Ryan, Caitlin and Noah followed Amy inside and were led through their living room, down the hallway and out to the backyard where they encountered Olivia, Kendrick and Brendon gathered near the pool that had been lit up with LED-lights.

Mrs. Breeck was with Rachel who looked rather rarity with her long red dress. Her boyfriend stood by the grill with Mr. Breeck.

Olivia waved at Ryan, Caitlin and Noah from near the food table. The three of them hurried over to the rest of their friends and got a better look at the table they hovered near. It was covered with bowls of snacks, trays of pastries, and on an opposite table were the beverages varying from beer to ciders to soda.

Olivia had on a pair of short denim overalls with a pair of Nikes and a short sleeved T-shirt with a picture of a teenager dressed as a bunny, smoking on a cigarette. She had her hair tied in a ponytail. Kendrick was dressed in a suit, because he wouldn't be Kendrick Fur if he didn't. Brendon was dressed in a pair of black jeans, sneakers and a white shirt with the first three buttons loose, revealing the line separating the pecks he worked months on.

"Are there more guests coming besides us?" Noah asked when they reached the others.

"Three of Rachel's friends are on their way." Amy said, mimicking Olivia by holding onto Ryan's arm. "From what she told me two of them are convincing the other one to come. Dad asked Jimmy to invite a few of his friends as well."

"Your parents must be desperate to turn this into a party rather than a gathering." said Olivia. She held a red cup filled with the concoction she scooped from the bowl of punch which had colourful gummy bears and gummy snakes floating inside of it. "Why didn't they just invite some of their friends?"

"Rachel asked that the only adults present by my mom and dad." Amy said. She looked at Ryan and nudged him with her nose. "Do you want something to drink?" she whispered to him.

"Yah, I'd like an orange Fanta." Caitlin said, overhearing their conversation. "What about you, Noah?"

"I'm not allowed alcohol." he said. "I think I saw a small bottle of Mountain Dew?"

Amy rolled her eyes, but she smiled.

"Get Ryan whatever we're drinking." Brendon said, nodding to the cups they held.