chpt - 41: work with what you've got

THE DRIVE TO THE HOSPITAL WAS painful and quiet, the trio exhausted and in agony. Wren, being in better shape than Olivia, stumbled to the grape field where she looked for Kendrick. She found him nestled in the dirt, grapevines covering him. His left arm looked dislocated and broken. His forehead gleamed with sticky blood. Thankfully he was still breathing, but he was unconscious nonetheless. Wren carried him back to the truck, and then she helped Olivia back as well. The still-sleeping lamb was brought to the truck last.

Kendrick was in the back with the lamb, Olivia was painfully moaning as she tried to suppress the pain of possible broken bones, and Wren tried to keep her eyes on the road as she tried to ignore the wet-yet-sticky feeling in and all over her brain.

They made it safely to the hospital. Their battered appearance prompted immediate attention. Kendrick was swiftly taken for imaging, Olivia followed suit, and Wren underwent evaluation.

Kendrick and Olivia were diagnosed with bruises, fractures, and internal injuries, Kendrick also suffering a concussion.

Their attempt to keep the incident discreet failed when the hospital contacted their parents, preparing them for urgent surgeries.

Wren found herself surrounded by concerned parents, bombarding her with questions she couldn't answer. Overwhelmed, she sought solace in a hospital bed, but the relentless worry from the parents eventually drove her out of the room.

As if things couldn't get any worse, upon entering the corridor a paramedic bumped into Wren on their way down the corridor, this slight interaction granting Wren yet another vision. Only this one was like a pinch on her cheek, more past than future, and she saw a bloodied body covered by a white sheet, escorted privately and carefully to the morgue outside.

"Brendon," she exhaled subconsciously, standing completely still for a brief moment, their loss that night greater than she had imagined.

Ѻ Ѻ

Police officers soon visited the hospital, asking Olivia, Kendrick and Wren's parents questions about their knowledge of where their children were that night. Wren was questioned in one of the doctor's offices lent to them for the time being.

"So, let me get this straight," said the police officer, a RIVIERA on his nametag. "You and your friends decided to go hiking in the mountains not far from here, but then one of you slips. The other tries to help, only resulting in both of them rolling down the mountain. And then there's you—fell down the foot of the mountain as you rushed to go and save your friends."

Wren nodded casually, not breaking eye contact with the officer. "We were just trying to take our minds off of everything for a bit." she said.

"Ah-ha," Riviera said, his tone sounding unconvinced.

Wren waited quietly for the police officer to finish taking her statement, wondering what was going to happen next. She gave a specific location of the mountain they supposedly climbed, hoping it would keep the police busy for a while before they discovered the mess the trio left behind at the farm.

"Alright, that'll be all," said the police officer. "When anything else comes up, do let us know."

Wren didn't know what Riviera meant by 'anything else', but she asked an important question nonetheless.

"Were we the only accident that happened tonight?" she asked cautiously. She exchanged a look with Riviera, hoping he wouldn't suspect anything. "It's just... The staff seemed a bit distressed."

Officer Riviera hesitated for a moment, his expression guarded. "I understand your concern, but I can't discuss other incidents with you at this time. Our focus is on understanding what happened during your hike."