chpt - 33: cup of cheer

"SO, WHAT DID WREN SAY?" RYAN asked when their conversation went quiet.

"She said she'd think about it." Olivia answered him.

"Like we have time to think about stuff." Kendrick mumbled before placing a cracker into his mouth.

The group had congregated at Olivia's house the following day—Olivia, Kendrick, Brendon, Ryan, Caitlin and Noah. Again, Amy was absent. Olivia considered messaging her and asking her to join, but Ryan reminded her that Amy did not care for their mission.

"Have hope." spoke Brendon. He had his whole body on the long couch and his head on Olivia's thighs. "She might actually come around."

Both Kendrick and Noah looked at Brendon, both for completely different reasons.

"When is Dawson coming back?" Olivia asked Caitlin as she absentmindedly stroked Brendon's hair.

"He said he'd be back by tonight." answered Caitlin.

"Why'd he visit the city?" Noah asked, to which Caitlin shrugged.

"Did you guys start collecting the things we need for the ritual?" Olivia asked.

"I cremated my gran's Bible and put the ash in a plastic sleeve." told Brendon. He sighed. "Who knew burning a book to ashes would take so much time?"

"Was it the new King James version?" Ryan humoured, to which Brendon gave him the finger.

"We have the black pepper, salt and human blood." announced Caitlin. "Where are we gonna get the lamb's blood and the Royal Poinciana seeds?"

"There's a livestock farm not too far from here." Kendrick told. "I know I saw sheep and cows herded there."

"So, what? You think the farmer's just gonna give us a lamb to slaughter?" Caitlin chuckled.

"Who said we'd be asking for a lamb?" Olivia whispered with raised eyebrows.

Ryan looked at her, his eyes wide—he was impressed.

"Babe, are you suggesting we steal a lamb?" Brendon asked, his tone indicating he was also impressed.

"Gosh, I'm sure there's another solution better than theft." said Noah, leaning back on the floor. "How much does a lamb cost?"

"Over a million dollars." said Brendon.

Ryan threw a cracker at him. "Not a Lamborghini, dummy."

Brendon looked at him with amusing eyes. "I know."

"An actual lamb—the animal—costs a lot." Caitlin answered. "I remember my dad bought a sheep for Christmas; he and his brother were gonna slaughter it. That sheep was almost six-hundred bucks. And just 'cause it's the baby we need doesn't make it less expensive."

Kendrick turned to Olivia. "So, stealing then?" he concurred.

Everyone shrugged, considering the option. "The world might end at any time." said Brendon. "At least we'll be able to say we've stolen a sheep's baby."

"Okay, that concludes finding a lamb." Ryan stated. "What about the seeds?"

"We order them online." Olivia said. "Or Caitlin can message Dawson and ask him to find a place that sells those types of seeds?"

"I'll see if I can tonight." Caitlin replied. Then her expression soured as she chewed on a thought that's been bothering her for some time.

"What's the matter?" Noah asked when he noticed her face scrounging.