chpt - 34: black umbrellas

HE STARED AT THE WALL FOR a good amount of time. Or was it hours? Maybe. He was still in shock after what happened.

God had told him—them—about the Mukinnū and how they were almost untouchable. For some reason, he could not kill them. And yet, Doubleday managed to kill one of them. Okay, maybe the Blond One wasn't technically a Mukinnū, but she was just as important. And Doubleday managed to touch her.

The thought excited him. Just when he thought there was a chance to turn the magnets around, he overheard the Mukinnū's plans at annihilating him. Little did they know they were giving him exactly what he wanted. Now he could kill them.

If God was struggling to answer Doubleday, he would surely answer him now. God's voice would fall onto him like the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, thanking him over and over and over and over until Doubleday literally melts away from the praising. Oh, what a way to die!

The Blond One's death gave Doubleday the hopes that he may be able to break the wall that kept him from the Mukinnū. But the girl—the Redhead—had become a problem. She was almost as bad as the one who carried the Bless. Yes, they were a problem indeed. The Redhead had discovered the way to evade Doubleday's powers. That was so far the only weapon he could use to harm the Mukinnū. He may not have been allowed to kill them, but that did not mean he could not hurt them so badly that they die on their own.

He spontaneously cried out and clapped his hands together. Then he grabbed at his face and rocked back and forth. It was just so goddamn exciting. The events Doubleday foresaw made his skin tingle in a way only compared to being boiled alive—and he loved every second of it.

Yes, he oh so adored these premature Mukinnū. Their reckless decisions would soon be the death of them. And God would finally love him again thereafter.

Ɖ

"Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there. I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamond glints on snow. I am the sunlight on ripened grain. I am the gentle autumn rain. When you awaken in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush, of quiet birds in the circled flight. I am the soft stars that shine at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry; I am not there. I did not die."

Everyone around Amy Breeck's beautifully black coffin raised their umbrellas in unison, these also black. The soft rain fell down on them as if the sky was weeping along. The perfect weather conditions for a funeral.

Ironically, it was a good funeral.

Ѻ Ѻ

The repast at the Breeck's house was enjoyed with whispered conversations and condolences offered to the family. The black dress code seemed to dim every light turned on in the house, or maybe Mr. and Mrs. Breeck did it themselves to match the mood of the day.

Amy Breeck's family had to shake hands of the familiar while wiping the tears from their faces. The girl's friends from school were congregated in the backyard where they spoke amongst one another with their heads low and their voices lower. However, Amy Breeck's closest friends whom she parted ways with before her untimely demise separated themselves from the other guests and hid out in her bedroom. Both parents of the deceased allowed them access to the room, which they planned on locking forever in the coming days.

Olivia, Brendon, Noah, Kendrick, Caitlin and Ryan sat silently in the bedroom of their friend—they had each been inside of the room before, but that was individually. This was the first time they all sat together here.

Each of them carried a plate of food with them: yellow rice, chicken, gravy, potatoes and a tomato salad over the rice for those who asked. Empty glasses of juice sat scattered on the floor.