10 • It's Not Summer Without Her ????

Since Susannah died, everything's been so much harder. The amount of pain I felt was unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life.

Belly and I haven't talked since the funeral, which was almost 2 months ago. I didn't blame her. She was broke like all of us were. Or rather, ARE.

The last thing I remember that Susannah said to me was, "Don't let them drift apart." But I failed her. Jeremiah and Conrad don't talk anymore to my knowledge. It was really hard for them after their mom died. I couldn't blame them. But they needed each other, and I failed to give Susannah what she wanted.

"Ellie?" My friend poked my shoulder. "What?" I sighed. "Are you coming or what?" She laughed. "Coming to what?" I asked. "The party. You know? At my boyfriends house." She shook her head disappointedly. "I'm sorry. Yeah. I'm coming." I smiled sadly.

"Good. You could use a drink." She laughed. I gave a fake laugh and pulled out my phone. A text from Connie. I haven't got one in a while from him.

Conrad 😎 - "Hey, have you talked to Jere recently? He's not responding to my texts."

Me - "No. I'm sorry, is something going on?"

Conrad 😎 - "No. I'm sorry for bothering you. Nothings wrong. I'm just worried about him."

Me - "I'll try and reach out for you."

Conrad 😎 - "Thanks. That means a lot, shortie 🩷"

I smiled at his text. Shortie. I haven't been called that in a long time.

School ended and I went back home and went straight to my room. I turned on my phone and my thumb hovered over Jeremiah's contact.

I haven't heard his voice in so long... I called him. I didn't expect him to answer, but he did.

"Hello? El?" I heard his voice.

"Jere, you alright? Conrad's been trying you all day. He's worried about you." I said, worries myself.

"I'm alright, Ellie. I've just had a long day." He said.

"I'm sorry I haven't talked to you since... you know..." he apologized.

"You don't have to apologize. I understand." I sighed.

"I miss you..." he said. He sounded sad.

"I miss you too." I said as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry about keeping it from you..." I said, he knew what I was talking about.

"You promised her. You were trying to protect me. I understand now." He said.

"I love you." I whispered as my lips quivered.

"I love you too. You have no idea how much I wanna kiss you right now." He said. I could tell he was about to cry.

"You have no idea how much I want that too..." I cried.

We talked on the phone for about an hour before I had to go. I texted Conrad to tell him that Jere was okay. They're relationship needed fixing.

I needed to fix all of it...