Chapter 7

Flashback
Simon "Ghost" Riley

"No, MacTavish, back away!" I pushed the old man onto the ground, we are taking rough fire and now is no time to be a hero.

"Ghost, watch out!" He yells just as I duck down, bullets passing my head. We were betrayed by Shepherd, Price failing to give us a warning on time.

"We need to take shalter, or we're dead." I shout at him, grabbing him by the shoulder, "We are already dead, Simon." He looked up at me, "Go Simon, I will distract them."

"No Alexander!" I tugged at his vest, but he shook me off, "Promise me you'll take care of my boy... and Leia, oh Leia, my sweet babygirl." The though of his kids made his eyes water.

"Alex, let's go, stop this nonsense!" I shouted, I cannot lose the old man, "Simon, promise me!" He looked up at me and suddenly, I was at loss of words. "I know they will be safe with you, you are the strongest soldier I've ever met."

"So, promise me Simon that you will keep them safe, so I don't die in vain." His voice merely a whisper, "I promise, Captain, I swear on my life."

"Good, Lieutenant, now run!" He pushed me away before he stood up, "Is that all you got Shepherd!?" He shouted before bullets started colliding with his body and I ran, I ran so fucking hard.

The only mission now is to keep Leia and Johnny safe.

+

I woke up with a groan, I will never stop dreaming about that day. Losing MacTavish took a great toll on me, he was like a father to me, he fed me, kept my head straight. His wife, Clara, was always such a sweetheart to me, never letting me forget my worth.

They didn't deserve any of the things that happened to them, nor did Leia and Johnny. He always talked about his kids, how he was so proud of them. Leia was only eighteen when I came back home without her father, I will never forget the look on her face.

But she was strong, she welcomed me back with a "Good work, Lieutenant." And I felt like shit... after few months, Clara died, some say of a broke heart. Johnny was then twenty five, already in the army, taking after his one and only role model, his father.

I was twenty eight, already a Lieutenant for a quite some time, I was the best because I was ruthless, and I still am... but Alexander's death made it all very real. I didn't have a family to return to, but he did and I let him die.

"Ghost, are you awake?" Leia's voice brought me back to reality, "Yes, come in." I said while sitting up on the bed, "Breakfast is ready, and I finally washed all of your balaclava's, they smell so nice now." She handed me my balaclava's and I could feel my face soften.

"Thank you, I will now drown in the fabric softener ." Well, they do smell good, like fresh slowers. I can't wait to smell like flowers on the next mission.

"I just wanted to do something nice for you." She stood at my doorway, "And I thank you." I said as I turned around and swaped my balaclava with a clean one, "Yep, the smell is getting to my brain."

"Goodbye." She rolled her eyes and I chuckled, "I am joking, Leia." I motioned for her to come sit with me, "Are you going to kill me?" She asked and I nearly laughed, something I haven't done in a while.

"No, I just want you to sit with me for a little." She sat beside me, "Why? What's wrong, Ghost?" Her eyes are full of worry and...fear. "Is Anna coming today?" I ask, I like Anna, she is the only person I think Leia should trust besides me and the men.

"Yes, in half an hour, she likes Gaz you know." Leia instanly cheered up and I smiled, I fucking smiled at the thought of her being happy. "Well, I hope Gaz feels the same." I said, Gaz is a good soldier and a better man, he deserves nothing but happiness.

"So, will you go eat already?" She stood up, visibly nervous, "Yes, yes I will. I just need to change." I stood up too, walking to my closet, "Why? You look good like this." She said quietly and I chuckled, "I look good in sweatpants?" I looked down at her.

"Yes, I never saw you in sweatpants before, you always wear your cargo pants." She shrugged, "And what is wrong with my cargo pants?" I slipped a hoodie on while looking at her.

"Nothing it's just that... you're at home, and you should be comfortable, that's all." She looked away and I pulled her closer to me, "And you should lose that balaclava too, the boys already saw you without a mask." Well, that took me by surprise.

"But you didn't." I held her by her waist, I am feeling so intoxicated by her right now, "I won't mind." She looked up at me and my breathing increased, I can't take my eyes off of her. I haven't felt like this for a long time.

"Ghost." Her eyes were burning through my soul, "Simon." I whispered, "My name is Simon Riley." She widened her eyes at me, "Well, hello Simon Riley, did you have a wet dream? You're getting quite touchy." She never took her eyes off of me, God she is so brave and so fucking stubborn.

"Leia, Anna's here!" Johnny shouted from downstairs and I groaned, "I have to go, Simon Riley, I hope we will meet again later. I like you better than Ghost." She whispered in my ear and I closed my eyes for a second, before letting her go.

That girl is going to be the death of me.