5. Stay in your room. Okay?

Suggest me some good Netflix series? I have already seen Friends, B99, The Office, Lucifer, Stranger things.

~~~

Chapter 5: Stay in your room. Okay?

It's Saturday by the time my father arrives home and I have to resort to the option of confining myself to the four walls of my room so I can avoid him at all costs. The last thing I want to do is face him, especially when he is already so irked and frustrated. I don't know what happened but either way, I'd rather stay in my room than go and ask him about it. I can hear him yelling something downstairs, I have no idea what it is this time – too much salt in the vegetable, someone breathed too loudly, the maid didn't clean the chair properly, he found his newspaper a little crumpled. It could be anything. It could be nothing.

I flick through my Instagram lazily, looking at people travelling and exploring and eating and just having fun in general. I scoff and roll on the bed, glaring at them. "Must be nice to be able to go where you want, whenever you want, huh?"

Ryan is on some new cruise ship and I like his post with a heavy heart. He did invite me but with my father back in town, it's impossible to go anywhere that isn't beneficial to his campaign.

I exhale and look at the clear blue sky. What a beautiful weather to have a picnic by the lake. "Can someone trade lives with me, please?"

There's a light knock and I don't even look up at the door, I mutter a loud "Come in." continuing to scroll through the social media posts.

"Your father is here." Nimit informs, his voice firm and business like. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Yes, I can hear. Good for him."

"He wants to see you in his office." There's light pity in Nimit's voice that catches my attention and I sit up on the bed, frowning at him. Nimit manages to keep a straight face but I can see the flicker of guilt and sympathy in them. That expression is never a good sign. My back stiffens and I glare at him.

"Why does he want to see me?"

"It's best if you go down and ask him yourself."

I grit my teeth and scowl at him. "Can you take my side for once?"

Nimit blinks and his tone turns sincere. "I am always on your side." I hadn't expected that response so it makes me flatter a little but not enough to forget the reality. "So you say but never act like it. You always do what he says. You always take his side and do his bidding. Just because he is the one who pays you. Is he in his office?"

His lips part, as if to counter attack my taunts but after a second thought his lips press together and he simply nods. "Yes."

"Fine." I get off the bed and grab a denim jacket to wrap around the red tank top. My white shorts reach till mid thighs and I take calming breaths to gain the courage to go downstairs and face my father's wrath. Only if I was prepared for whatever it is this time.

The door is slightly ajar and I push it further open, entering his office room. My father is sitting on his rolling chair in front of the large glass desk. Even at home, there's a sophistication and an air of determination around him. Tall and well-built, he easily exudes an aura of poise and domination that draws people toward him. His neatly groomed salt-and-pepper beard and piercing eyes reveal absolutely nothing.

I force a smile on my face as I sit in front of me. "Hey, dad. How's it going?" I can feel Nimit standing at the door. Usually, he walks out, giving us privacy but this time he is choosing to stay in the room.

My father's eyes narrow at me and his lips press into a thin reprimanding line. It's an expression I am all too familiar with. "How's it going? Hmm, I don't know. You tell me!" He grabs the newspaper on the desk in front of him and flings it towards me. It hits me straight on the chest before falling into my lap. I flinch a little at the attack. I look down to the paper and gasp, eyes widening.