7. I am tired of me being the only one embarrassed all the time.

Fun fact at the end!

~~~

Chapter 7: I am tired of me being the only one embarrassed all the time."

There is a time in everybody's life when they are far too dazed and baffled to even move. For me, that moment is this one.

I sit in front of the round mirror in Sania's guest room, staring at my reflection. My cheeks are flushed and my eyes are still wide open. I blink and shake my head, trying to rattle away the residual of shock.

Did I hear right? I did, didn't I?

He said date. Date, as in a two people together, with the potential of forming a romantic relationship.

Or as per today's generation, a date is something that usually ends with the couple sleeping together.

"Ah, well. I'd take any option." I mutter under my breath.

I have been on dates before, obviously. But none of them had affected me like this. Just thinking about tonight makes my stomach churn and clench in anxiety.

I stand up suddenly and start pacing the room, unable to quell the storm of nerves swirling within me.

What do I wear?

What do I say?

What if Sania comes back early?

What if he changes his mind?

What if he just meant a date as friends – or something professionally? Like a bodyguard date?

And if it isn't clear already. I am an overthinker. I could have a Ph.D. in it.

So, by the time it is 7 in the evening, I am even more of a wreck. I glance at the clock for what feels like the hundredth time.

He never specified the time and I was too terrified to go out there and ask him about it. So now it's 7 PM and I am all dressed for a date that I am not even sure is a real date.

"Oh my God! What is wrong with me? Is this normal? Is this something that happens with other girls too? Or is there something wrong with me?"

I smooth down the front of my blue slit dress, my fingers trembling ever so slightly. The dress features a daring slit that starts at my mid-thigh, showing off my nicely shaved legs. And the sweetheart neckline frames my collarbones. The dress fits me flawlessly, which is exactly why I specifically picked it, it makes me feel confident. But now, standing on the precipice of this dinner date, all I can feel is a gnawing uncertainty.

My hair is styled in loose waves, cascading down my shoulders, and her makeup is modest yet vibrant. I press my lips together, the light mauve lipstick spreads in response.

I look at the time again, it's hardly been 2 minutes.

How does time go slow when you want it to go fast? It's like being in a boring classroom.

"Maybe I should just pretend to be sick and skip this?"

"No, this might be my only chance of having dinner with Nimit. And he's cooking. I can't miss that."

I pace the bedroom, starting feel a little sweaty. With an annoyed grunt, I lower the AC temperature and sit on the corner of the bed so I don't smell like sweat. My feet still continue to bounce nervously.

There's a knock at the door, causing my heart to leap into my throat. I stare at the door, as if expecting it to burst into flames and burn me alive.

I take a deep breath, willing myself to relax. It's okay. It's Nimit. If it's uncomfortable, just imagine him naked!